• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

7mm Rem Mag Ammo - Hornady Custom 139 Gr.

2ATexan

I'm looking for a specific product, Hornady 8059 (Hornady Custom 7mm Rem Mag - 139 grain Boat Tail Spire Point). I bought a partial box of 13 rounds, on the cheap, on GB, just to use for sighting in a new rifle (a 44 year old Sako L61R that had never been fired) and stocked up on 6 boxes of Hornady Superformance - 139 grain SST, but when I got to the range, the Superformance didn't group nearly as well as the Hornady Custom, which has been discontinued.

With the Hornady Custom, I shot a 1 1/4" 3 round group at 300 yards. I was astonished to get that tight of a group with a hunting rifle, at 300 yards. I'd burned a couple of rounds at 25 yards, just to get close and to check my bore sighting, so now I'm down to 8 rounds of what I discovered to be the good stuff.

The Superformance was kind of all over the place. Not bad, but after 10 rounds, it took a 9" circle to cover them. Acceptable for 300 yards, with a hunting rifle, but man, the Hornady Custom was far more accurate in this rifle. If anybody has any, I'd love to get all I can.

Superformance sucks in any caliber try a few more different kinds of ammo you may find one that shoots even better than custom.

heck, the 175 win power point bullet bullet (factory load) is sub moa in my kid's 7rem... There are a lot of good loadings out there.
I'm handloading a 140 sierra with rl22 in his rifle and it's hovering at 1/2 moa or so; not bad for a tikka t3x lite with a straight 6 sightron on top.

Not exactly what you're looking for for - but top and bottom boxes are 139gr. Hornady. Top is only partial, but bottom moly-coated is full box - pm me if interested.

Attachments

• 9BC2098A-019D-4B16-B507-E7716A27F8E0.jpeg
    9BC2098A-019D-4B16-B507-E7716A27F8E0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Not a fan myself, had a custom creedmoor would shoot everything under 1" even garbage.. American Whitetail shot 2.5" on a good day

Been a while since I shot it - but best of my memory approx. 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 at 100 yds. shot in Tikka T3. Nothing to write home about, but not terrible.
Well my Sako likes the Hornady Custom #8059. As I said, I shot a 3 round group 1 1/4". The vertical variation was less than a half inch. the variation was all horizontal, which could be wind or me. At 300 yards with a hunting rifle. I want more of that stuff.

Well my Sako likes the Hornady Custom #8059. As I said, I shot a 3 round group 1 1/4". The vertical variation was less than a half inch. the variation was all horizontal, which could be wind or me. At 300 yards with a hunting rifle. I want more of that stuff.
Yes, I would be looking for more of that also. I must ask though - was this repeatable? Did it shoot this well always? I realize you don't have much of it to work with, but I have had a few fluke groups in a rifle or two that never managed as well before or after. Hopefully this is not the case with yours.

Yes, I would be looking for more of that also. I must ask though - was this repeatable? Did it shoot this well always? I realize you don't have much of it to work with, but I have had a few fluke groups in a rifle or two that never managed as well before or after. Hopefully this is not the case with yours.
I just bought the rifle earlier this year. That was my first time to fire it. I didn't fire many of those rounds, only having 13 of them. I did shoot a box of Hornady Superformance, 139 grain SSTs and it didn't group nearly as well.

I sure hope you can find some more, but it may be tough as it appears this is not a currently manufactured ammo from Hornady - that exact number per website anyway. You may need to find someone who reloads and dissect a cartridge. In order to attempt to find out the load and repeat as best you can. If it shoots that round, that well - that's not the only load that will shoot in it. May have to stay in that weight range, but some 140gr bullets should do as well.

I'm looking for a specific product, Hornady 8059 (Hornady Custom 7mm Rem Mag - 139 grain Boat Tail Spire Point). I bought a partial box of 13 rounds, on the cheap, on GB, just to use for sighting in a new rifle (a 44 year old Sako L61R that had never been fired) and stocked up on 6 boxes of Hornady Superformance - 139 grain SST, but when I got to the range, the Superformance didn't group nearly as well as the Hornady Custom, which has been discontinued.

With the Hornady Custom, I shot a 1 1/4" 3 round group at 300 yards. I was astonished to get that tight of a group with a hunting rifle, at 300 yards. I'd burned a couple of rounds at 25 yards, just to get close and to check my bore sighting, so now I'm down to 8 rounds of what I discovered to be the good stuff.

The Superformance was kind of all over the place. Not bad, but after 10 rounds, it took a 9" circle to cover them. Acceptable for 300 yards, with a hunting rifle, but man, the Hornady Custom was far more accurate in this rifle. If anybody has any, I'd love to get all I can.
Might be acceptable for a 44 year old un-fired rifle during load development.....but 9" at 300 is definitely not acceptable for ANY RIFLE.... ESPECIALLY HUNTING!

Tri federal 150 grain soft point boat tail it does well in my Weatherby vanguard 7M rem mag It gave this to my son for graduation and realised that the gun shot better than any of my rifles that I have today literally think you are missing the paper when you are punching hole through hole shh