7mm Rem Mag Ammo for Elk??

I'm guessing it's a 7mm magnum or some type. My dad hunted for years with nothing BUT the 160 gr. Nosler Partition. Hard to go wrong with that bullet in any 7mm. I use Partitions a lot myself and know you cannot go wrong with them. Another excellent bullet would be a 160 gr. Accubond. I have done water jug testing for penetration, expansion, and weight retention on both Accubonds and Partitions to 500 yards and they both performed perfectly.

160 gr. Partition
160 gr. Accubond
Choose the one your rifle likes best.

I shot an elk last year with a 168 accubond with no problems went thru the lungs. I don't know if Nosler makes the 168 in factory loads but the Accubonds are great on game.

Barnes VorteX Ammo in 150 gr TTSX will absolutely anchor an elk to 600 yards
Should have been on my list. I've shot a fair bit of the TTSX ammo at hogs and it performed very well.

You have to be careful though with older factory rifles and slow twist barrels though so be sure you have enough twist to stabilize the bullet chosen.

Dusty Noggin is correct. I'll add in the phrase of "Shot placement is everything."
Each rifle is going to shoot something better than the other. For my 7mm Rem Mag, it likes Hornady 162grn ELD-x bullets over Nosler Trophy Grade 160 gun Accubonds. I'd rather have the Nosler brass but my gun shoots just over 1/2'' with the factory Hornady's and under an 1'' with the Noslers. Good luck with it.
He's about half right. Premium factory ammo is loaded to much higher and more consistent standards than the cheap stuff.

Try loads with the Barnes TSX, the Hornady ELD-X or GMX, or the Berger. 150-180 grain and pick the one that shoots best from his rifle. Any one of them will anchor an elk at the distances you mentioned. I like these over other bullets because they will break through a tough shoulder and stay together vs others that may separate.
I'd leave the GMX of of that list. I've had way too much trouble with them just penciling through in 7mm, .30 cal, and .375 even on big boars.

I lost a big buck with a full length body shot that entered mid sternum and exited just below and to the right of the anus leaving only about a half inch exit wound. That round was fired from the .375.

He acted as though he hadn't even been hit, disappeared onto the neighbor's property who found him half eaten by a coyote two days later.

Myself and 2 other guys are going to Idaho in 4 months for an elk hunt. We were talking ammo selection the other day and my buddy needs to find a good factory round for the 7mm Rem Mag he just inherited. So what brand and grain weight would you guys recommend? He will not be reloading for this rifle. He's a pretty avid shooter, but not necessarily long range. Keep in mind this is a brand new rifle for him so I'm thinking realistically shots out to 400-500 yards will be his max.
Can't beat 175 grain Nosler Partitions

I'd leave the GMX of of that list. I've had way too much trouble with them just penciling through in 7mm, .30 cal, and .375 even on big boars.

I lost a big buck with a full length body shot that entered mid sternum and exited just below and to the right of the anus leaving only about a half inch exit wound. That round was fired from the .375.

He acted as though he hadn't even been hit, disappeared onto the neighbor's property who found him half eaten by a coyote two days later.
Not the experience I have had. I used them in a 300 WM. I had exits every time but obvious expansion, even under 150 yds on smaller does. But I don't think any bullet works perfectly every time.

I have killed plenty of elk with the 160 grain Nosler partitions and accubonds. Both performed well. Any Federal or Nosler premium ammunition with those bullet or the Swift A-frame or triple shock will do the job.

In factory: Federal Trophy Bonded Tip 160gr 7mm Rem Mag. Actual velocity from a 24" barrel @ 2,850 fps with a BC of 0.520. Sub-MOA accuracy in several of my 7mm Rem Mags. Nosler AccuBond are also great but, these Federals are more accurate in my experience. Your buddy's rifle may prefer the Noslers.

Link to Federal's product page for this cartridge:
https://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle/premium-centerfire-rifle/trophy-bonded-tip/p7rtt1
Own a Browning a-bolt white gold with 26" barrel that's a tack driver, which I've used to kill many deer and antelope with clean 1 shot kills regularly out to 400 yards using federal premium trophy bonded 140 grain.

Just learned I drew a rare bull elk tag in AZ this fall and looking for advice from someone who has previously used a 7 MM Rem Mag to kill elk.

Never shot one before, so want to make sure I go with the best possible factory round, able to properly address a similar range shot if necessary. Thinking of stepping up to the trophy bonded 160 grain. Anyone with any real world elk experience using that round in 7MM Rem Mag?
J.R.
[email protected]