7mm Rem Mag Ammo for Elk??

shamu2240

Myself and 2 other guys are going to Idaho in 4 months for an elk hunt. We were talking ammo selection the other day and my buddy needs to find a good factory round for the 7mm Rem Mag he just inherited. So what brand and grain weight would you guys recommend? He will not be reloading for this rifle. He's a pretty avid shooter, but not necessarily long range. Keep in mind this is a brand new rifle for him so I'm thinking realistically shots out to 400-500 yards will be his max.

I've used the 168 berger on elk in a 7mm rm and a 7mm wsm with good results. I do reload so not positive what ammo is available. Good luck on your hunt, we may bump into each other as I also plan on being in Idaho this fall for an elk hunt.

Thanks for the suggestions. I told him he should get a few different boxes and try them, but I figured I should come here first and try to narrow the selection down a little bit.

I shot an elk last year with a factory Nosler 160 accubond. Bullet did well, have no intention of changing.

I shot one a few years back with a factory Remington 150 gr. Premier accutip. The bullet hit the shoulder and disintegrated. The shock caused a good amount of damage but didn't pass through the shoulder. I recovered the brass jacket from the shoulder. Bullets have worked well for me on deer but I won't shoot another elk with them.

Myself and 2 other guys are going to Idaho in 4 months for an elk hunt. We were talking ammo selection the other day and my buddy needs to find a good factory round for the 7mm Rem Mag he just inherited. So what brand and grain weight would you guys recommend? He will not be reloading for this rifle. He's a pretty avid shooter, but not necessarily long range. Keep in mind this is a brand new rifle for him so I'm thinking realistically shots out to 400-500 yards will be his max.

My hunting buddy dropped a nice MT bull elk with HSM 180 Berger VLD at ~400 yards DRT.

i have hunted and shot virtually every big game animal in america and canada.all with 7mmrem mag.any long range 160 gr bullet would be fine i think the hornady162 at 3030 fps would be just what you need out to six hundred yards.best to keep elk under five if you can they are very tough.