7mm Rem Mag Ammo for Elk??

shamu2240

Myself and 2 other guys are going to Idaho in 4 months for an elk hunt. We were talking ammo selection the other day and my buddy needs to find a good factory round for the 7mm Rem Mag he just inherited. So what brand and grain weight would you guys recommend? He will not be reloading for this rifle. He's a pretty avid shooter, but not necessarily long range. Keep in mind this is a brand new rifle for him so I'm thinking realistically shots out to 400-500 yards will be his max.

I've used the 168 berger on elk in a 7mm rm and a 7mm wsm with good results. I do reload so not positive what ammo is available. Good luck on your hunt, we may bump into each other as I also plan on being in Idaho this fall for an elk hunt.

Thanks for the suggestions. I told him he should get a few different boxes and try them, but I figured I should come here first and try to narrow the selection down a little bit.

I shot an elk last year with a factory Nosler 160 accubond. Bullet did well, have no intention of changing.

I shot one a few years back with a factory Remington 150 gr. Premier accutip. The bullet hit the shoulder and disintegrated. The shock caused a good amount of damage but didn't pass through the shoulder. I recovered the brass jacket from the shoulder. Bullets have worked well for me on deer but I won't shoot another elk with them.

Myself and 2 other guys are going to Idaho in 4 months for an elk hunt. We were talking ammo selection the other day and my buddy needs to find a good factory round for the 7mm Rem Mag he just inherited. So what brand and grain weight would you guys recommend? He will not be reloading for this rifle. He's a pretty avid shooter, but not necessarily long range. Keep in mind this is a brand new rifle for him so I'm thinking realistically shots out to 400-500 yards will be his max.

My hunting buddy dropped a nice MT bull elk with HSM 180 Berger VLD at ~400 yards DRT.

i have hunted and shot virtually every big game animal in america and canada.all with 7mmrem mag.any long range 160 gr bullet would be fine i think the hornady162 at 3030 fps would be just what you need out to six hundred yards.best to keep elk under five if you can they are very tough.

Recent Posts