7mm Rem mag, 168gr vld & retumbo load data?

I've had really good luck with the 168 VLD's with 70gr of Retumbo out of my 7mm, factory Tikka, 24" barrel, getting right about 3000fps, no signs of pressure! just need to check your seating depth to really tighten up your groups, I'm getting about 3/4" groups @ 100yrds, Berger has a great article on finding the best depth off the lands!

I should also say start on the low end and work your way up in .5gr increments to verify your not getting too much pressure in your gun, that's what I did and you'll find a nice combo!

With Retumbo, we list a starting load of 65.5gr and a max load of 71.2 for the 168gr VLD in a 7 Rem Mag. As said above, I'd start low and work your way up. You never know where you might find a nice accuracy node. You can always email us questions at [email protected]

I've loaded as high as 73.0gr of Retumbo in the 7Mag without problems but most of the ones I've loaded for settled in around 71.5gr. I'd start around 69 and work up in 0.5 increments. With the 168 VLD all the rifles I've put it through liked them anywhere from .030 jumped to .003 jammed.

Thanks Guys. I did a few loads from start 66 to 70.7grs. Gun shot best at 70.3. Only thing that surprised me was at 70grs the load was sligltly compressed and a 70.7 grs the load was very compressed and showed slight signs of pressure starting. And this is from a custom rifle with a long throat for the VLD bullets and are seated out farther than a factory rifle's chamber can be. But at 70.3grs and Fed mag primers, Win cases. The load shot on light side of 3/8in groups and the 26 in tube turned in 3125fps with only an 11 fps spread with no signs of pressure.

AS a note as I have seen im really shocked to see people stating there getting 72 to 73 grs of retumbo in a 7mm mag case. @ 70.5 the powder is right into the bottom of the case neck not sure where there fitting an additional 1.5 to 2.5 grs of powder and a bullet.

Again thanks for the info Rogmay & Corey

image.jpg
This is the group I just shot last night out of my Tikka at 100yrds, well I shot the first shot that hit he black ring and my 12 year old shot the next 2 that are touching, overall it was a .5 inch group. That was 70gr retumbo with 168gr Berger, .010 off the lands!

Sorry I'm late to this string... I've been working a load for my Sendero over the last few months. Started with H1000 and didn't ever satisfactory results. Switched to Retumbo and worked my way up from 69gr in 1/2gr increments. At 72gr the magic happened, 0.33" 4 shot group at 100 yards, 0.010" of the lands, no pressure signs, 26 inch barrel. If you look around on the web, several others have had the same result. gun)

Sorry I'm late to this string... I've been working a load for my Sendero over the last few months. Started with H1000 and didn't ever satisfactory results. Switched to Retumbo and worked my way up from 69gr in 1/2gr increments. At 72gr the magic happened, 0.33" 4 shot group at 100 yards, 0.010" of the lands, no pressure signs, 26 inch barrel. If you look around on the web, several others have had the same result. gun)

Now I'm going to have to get some Retumbo.:D

I recommend 7828 SSC or 7977. It's much easier to find, and works great with the 168 VLD's in the 7mmRM.

Good info…and this is just for reference…my 270 Wby (same case capacity as the 7mmRM)…

It seems that 7977 is a slower powder in my gun (28" Benchmark, 1-9) pushing Matrix 165s. I am getting about 3225 fps out of 74grs of H1000 (also with out any great accuracy from this powder). At 75grs of 7977, I am only getting 3161fps. I have a ladder of more 7977 loaded up…but the weather has not been cooperating …However, the 7977 is being more accurate than the H1000.

My Retumbo is still in transit…

ETA…the ES for the H1000 hovered around 30…the ES for the 7977 hovered around 25...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.