7mm Rem mag 168 gr berger velocity?

Here's what my 26" barrel rem mag likes.

168 vlds .009 off the L&Gs
67.5 h1000
Br2 primers
Nosler brass
.5 moa to 500 yds
2950 fps

I went up to 70gr and over 3000 fps before the primers started to flatten but accuracy was not quite as good. I may be able to find another accurate load with more velocity with Retumbo but for WI whitetails my load is plenty. A friend is running the 180s over 3000 with Retumbo.

Pencil holes have not been a problem for me. I've shot a bunch of big does from 50-200 yds with this load. At 50-100 yds they ran a little ways with a fist sized exit. My mom shot the one at 200 and it folded like it was a head shot.

The only buck I've shot with it was a 155" 6.5 year old with a huge corn fed body. He didn't turn broadside until 20 yds. and filled the scope on min. power. (Glad I work so hard on long range shooting) I was leaning around a tree and shooting off hand with a little adrenaline pumping, but was still mystified we he bounded away looking scared but otherwise fine. I didn't want to shoot him in the a** so when stopped at 75 yds and looked back over his shoulder towards me I got ready to try to slip one into his neck. Then he wabled and flopped. I was shocked, there was 8" of untracked fresh snow and I couldn't find a drop of blood. I rolled him over and no exit... Then I dressed him and found that my shot was back a little in the lungs/liver. Most of which was pudding. When I hung him up I reached in and pulled the jacket out of the far side body cavity wall. This was not ideal performance in my mind, but it was also about as extreme an example as I can imagine. Really heavy bodied deer at basically muzzle velocity and while there wasn't an exit he was pretty sick when he ran off. I am happy with the bergers.

Last week I was talking to an IMR rep by email, he said that 7828 was developed specifically FOR the 7mm RM when it was being introduced in the mid '60s.

That's got to mean something good.
Yes it does. That is the next powder I am going to try. I have had really good velocity and accuracy from every 7 mag I ever owned with the 4350 and 140s but think the 7828 will do better with the heavier weights from what I have read. Gonna pick up a pound and try it and if it does good in my rifles will pick up a 8lber and use the 4350 for the 140s and my 243s

Here's what my 26" barrel rem mag likes.

168 vlds .009 off the L&Gs
67.5 h1000
Br2 primers
Nosler brass
.5 moa to 500 yds
2950 fps

I went up to 70gr and over 3000 fps before the primers started to flatten but accuracy was not quite as good. I may be able to find another accurate load with more velocity with Retumbo but for WI whitetails my load is plenty. A friend is running the 180s over 3000 with Retumbo.

Pencil holes have not been a problem for me. I've shot a bunch of big does from 50-200 yds with this load. At 50-100 yds they ran a little ways with a fist sized exit. My mom shot the one at 200 and it folded like it was a head shot.

The only buck I've shot with it was a 155" 6.5 year old with a huge corn fed body. He didn't turn broadside until 20 yds. and filled the scope on min. power. (Glad I work so hard on long range shooting) I was leaning around a tree and shooting off hand with a little adrenaline pumping, but was still mystified we he bounded away looking scared but otherwise fine. I didn't want to shoot him in the a** so when stopped at 75 yds and looked back over his shoulder towards me I got ready to try to slip one into his neck. Then he wabled and flopped. I was shocked, there was 8" of untracked fresh snow and I couldn't find a drop of blood. I rolled him over and no exit... Then I dressed him and found that my shot was back a little in the lungs/liver. Most of which was pudding. When I hung him up I reached in and pulled the jacket out of the far side body cavity wall. This was not ideal performance in my mind, but it was also about as extreme an example as I can imagine. Really heavy bodied deer at basically muzzle velocity and while there wasn't an exit he was pretty sick when he ran off. I am happy with the bergers.
I too have been very pleased with the 168 vlds performance and admit that I have never ever seen internal damage like they do turns their insides to jello. First coup;e of yrs I used them my experience with them were very much like you describe on the big does. This past season though I had terrible luck with them and had some hard tracking in clear cuts on some does due to no blood and pencil exits but after reading about the tips being closed on some of them and checking mine out pretty much think my problem is figured out. Also if you dont mind me asking what is the OAL of your load? The reason I ask is my newest rifle I am working loads for is a rem 700 bdl with 26" barrel. I know all rifles are different but my oal with the 168 vld is 3.475. My other 7 is a ruger m77 mkll and oal I run them at is 3.430. I know measuring them from the tip isnt very good method but only way I have at this time. Plan on purchasing a comparator to measure from ogive in the near future. Just kind of wondering what oal your at to get .009 off the lands. Thanks

I have been using the 168 hunter classic with 69 gr Retumbo with good results. Getting avg velocity of 3025. I have shot 3 mule deer and 4 elk all had had the results same results terminal destruction on the internal organs with a exit wound.

House is under construction right now, loading gear is stored, and I'm out of reloads. I'll have to load some more to tell you bc I only measure to the ogive. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on the meplats of the bullets I take into the field. Thanks

Since the Berger is not a controlled expansion bullet like a bonded core bullet you'll likely get mixed results from using them. My experience has been mostly like others have mentioned where you get tons of internal damage but few exit wounds and sometimes the blood trails are very thin. Using the same bullets in the target version (ie 168 target vld) gets a few more exit wounds and blood trails but on smaller sized deer at close range with magnums you don't get as much internal damage which can lead to a longer tracking job.

Sierra Match Kings are the same construction as Berger but seem to have a thicker jacket (guessing from experience, never measured). They shoot as well as the Berger in consistency but usually give up a little B.C. for the same weight class bullet...not a big deal for me. I've had the most experience with the 223 69gr SMK and the 308 190gr SMK. The 30 cal has produced exit holes without fail out to 450 yards with good blood trails and a 3150fps MV. Might be worth trying. I know Sierra states that they are not a hunting bullet but I've killed probably 30-40 deer with them and they do the job well in my experience.

I will also submit another vote for Retumbo. I've reloaded for quite a few 7RM's with the 168 and they all settled in around 71-73gr and .030 jump to the lands.

Last edited:
I have shot lots of the gamekings and prohunters but never tried the matchkings but always wondered how they would work on game. I made my longest kill shot ever a couple of months ago on a 200lb boar at 590 yards using a 171gr barnes matchburner. It did not exit which did not surprise me because I am running it pretty mild for shooting steel but it did perform well and pretty much turned internals to mush.Only bought a box of them to try because they were cheap and figured since they were almost identical to my 168 vlds they would be good for plinking steel. Barnes doesnt recommend them for hunting either but they worked out good that day cant see why a matchking would be any different.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.