7mm Question

adamsoa

I'm trying to decide on a new rifle build. Looking at either a 7mm or 7mm STW. I've got a place where I've hunted for a number of years and its an elk hot spot. They hang out across a steep nasty canyon. Theres no way to sneak into the side that they're on. Way too thick and nasty. What you can do is shoot across the canyon. Its a 970-1170 yard shot across to the hole they hang out in.

I'd like to put together a rifle and go after them next year. I'm trying to decide if a 7mm Rem Mag is enough or should I go up to the 7mm STW. I'd like to shoot the 180's.

Thanks

Even though the 7mm cartridges will kill an Elk, those distances will test the shooter and the caliber. Also shooting across a canyon 900 to 1200 yards will also test the wind bucking ability of the 7s.

If you want a dedicated Elk rifle for those distances I would recommend a larger caliber and a heavier bullet. The STW would be the least I would recommend and even then On Elk I would shorten the distance.

Look at the energy @ 1200 yards for the 7mm s and I think you will see the reason for recommending something larger.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

If you hit the elk in the boiler it will go down. The energy at those ranges with the 7 mag is not going to be the 1500 ftlbs but it will get it done if you put the bullet where it needs to be. I would put a 10" gong across that canyon and Everytime you go up scouting shoot 1 time and see if you can make first end hit. It will be good practice, eye opener. Wind is going to be the hardest part.

If the elk are constantly in that area that you speak of, I would try this approach. Sneak into the area the night before and wait it out. If you know where they are going to be you pick a spot based on where your shot will be. I would go in well before the season and build a nice comfortable blind that you can spend some real time in. Then I would wait it out. Bring some coffee and a book to read LOL. If I could avoid a 1,000 meter shot I would try to avoid it. If the shot angle is bad from closer distances, you could try a tall stand. A stand that is 30 feet up in a tree presents a lot more options than trying to take the same shot from the ground. I would much rather take a 500 yard shot from a solid stand I would choose that above taking a 1,000 yarder from across the canyon.

Answering your original question, the Remington Mag or the STW will get out there and do the job if you do your part. I wouldn't worry about the difference between the two. Time behind the scope will do you more good than time figuring out whether the old Remington or the flashy STW will be better.

Look at the energy @ 1200 yards for the 7mm s and I think you will see the reason for recommending something larger.

I'm not disagreeing with you that 7mm is not ideal for elk at extreme distance, but energy numbers don't tell the whole story.

Energy remaining at 1200 yards and 8000 feet elevation:

195 Berger @ 3125 (28 Nosler): 1932 ft lb
215 Berger @ 3000 (300 PRC/30 Nosler): 1778 ft lb

They hang out across a steep nasty canyon. Theres no way to sneak into the side that they're on. Way too thick and nasty. What you can do is shoot across the canyon. Its a 970-1170 yard shot across to the hole they hang out in.

If it's way too thick and nasty, how do you propose to get there to retrieve the elk in the first place? Can you pack the meat out once you get there?

Have you ever shot across a canyon at all? Have you shot across a canyon that's 1,200 yards wide at all?

The wind at this yardage can be daunting to say the least. Lots of threads make a 1,200 yard shot sound like it's a chip shot. But the wind, acting squirrely on any given day, will wreak havoc on your 'chip shot'. You will need to know with a good deal of precision just how fast the wind is blowing and from what angle.

Can you see what the wind in that canyon is doing, in the interval the bullet has to cross it? That's what would give me pause to rethink the shot. Then you need to know with excellent precision just how far that shot is, hoping against hope you can make the shot before the elk moves, even a tiny bit.

If you have all the above nailed down pat, I suggest putting that 10" gong out at 1,200 yards in various situations and shoot until I could hit that gong every time. Along with this comes the practice of reading and measuring the wind. A knowledgeable spotter can be a real blessing.

I can tell you from experience, you need more energy and velocity than any 7mm can give you, yes, even that highly vaunted 7STW. The big .30 calibers are minimum and the .338 (think big!) is just about perfect. This is not a game of luck, this is real life and you need your t's crossed and i's dotted. Plan for everything, practice for everything.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts