7mm PRC

Just marketing that we need to show our wife on why we NEED a new rifle 😁
I agree it's merely marketing. Ruger 375 & RCM 1st exploited the 30 Newton original design which for 100 Years has been off limits for whatever reason. Now Hornady has the 6.5 & 300 using the same size base as the Rugers. The 6.5 PRC is described as a for a particular competition after all. So Ruger should get credit for giving us the best Magnum ever?

I agree it's merely marketing. Ruger 375 & RCM 1st exploited the 30 Newton original design which for 100 Years has been off limits for whatever reason. Now Hornady has the 6.5 & 300 using the same size base as the Rugers. The 6.5 PRC is described as a for a particular competition after all. So Ruger should get credit for giving us the best Magnum ever?
I think we already went over this about 18 months ago (around page 4 of this thread). Nobody exploited the Newton case. The 375 Ruger/300 PRC case is different in EVERY DIMENSION when compared to any variation of the Newton case, with the exception of bore diameter. The Newton design isn't "off limits", it just didn't catch on.

If I build off of an existing, but commercially unsuccessful, idea and build it into a commercial success, I haven't exploited anything. I've learned from the mistakes (poor marketing, poor design, poor business practices, etc..) of some other company. If the family of Charles Newton went to court and sued Hornady for stealing Newton's idea, they'd never win; the designs just aren't that similar.

I think we already went over this about 18 months ago (around page 4 of this thread). Nobody exploited the Newton case. The 375 Ruger/300 PRC case is different in EVERY DIMENSION when compared to any variation of the Newton case, with the exception of bore diameter. The Newton design isn't "off limits", it just didn't catch on.

If I build off of an existing, but commercially unsuccessful, idea and build it into a commercial success, I haven't exploited anything. I've learned from the mistakes (poor marketing, poor design, poor business practices, etc..) of some other company. If the family of Charles Newton went to court and sued Hornady for stealing Newton's idea, they'd never win; the designs just aren't that similar.
Yea, it's an "Improved" 30 Newton. You keep living in fairy tale land. I don't think anyone is trying to Sue Hornady. Get over it.

As I understand it, the .300 PRC was designed to be the best possible long-range cartridge that would fit in a Magnum length action. The 6.5 PRC was designed to be the best possible long-range cartridge that would fit in a short length action. So the criterion for a 7mm PRC should be to be the best possible long-range cartridge that will fit in a standard length action.
George King
If its a SAAMI version of the 7 LRM then it will fit in the 30/06 length actions. We have built 3 LRMs and they all fit nicely in a standard long action. I hope they use the exact dimensions from Gunwerks so the new brass will run in our rifles. It should save on brass costs.

If its a SAAMI version of the 7 LRM then it will fit in the 30/06 length actions. We have built 3 LRMs and they all fit nicely in a standard long action. I hope they use the exact dimensions from Gunwerks so the new brass will run in our rifles. It should save on brass costs.
I seriously doubt it will be. If it's just a standardized LRM then they'll probably have to pay a licensing fee to Gunwerks for all the brass and ammo etc and maybe even for factory rifles chambered in it.

It won't be and while it could be made in short action really needing a medium/long action for best performance.

I seriously doubt it will be. If it's just a standardized LRM then they'll probably have to pay a licensing fee to Gunwerks for all the brass and ammo etc and maybe even for factory rifles chambered in it.
Could be, I do know that Aaron has a close relationship with Hornady. He told me several years ago that they had been encouraging Hornady to build the 6.5 PRC for a long time. Time will tell. I heard Hornady will announce the 7 PRC official maybe in the fall.

I've heard rumors of the 7lrm designed by Hornady and gunwerks being streamlined as the 7prc but who knows.

It's definitely not the 300 PRC necked down. What I have seen reminds me of 7x61 Sharpe&Hart but no belt and straight walls.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220223-162324.png
    Screenshot_20220223-162324.png
    374.7 KB · Views: 56