7mm PRC Wildcat Build

Gamesniper19

Have been working with wildcats, or non-standard SAAMI rifles for quite a few years. Truly enjoy the process and discovering new and interesting ballistics profiles for hunting. I primarily build them to feed my theory. Big heavy bullet, going as fast and accurate as I can to ensure in hunting conditions, even marginal shots kill cleanly.
For this project I wanted to make it simpler. Take known components that are easier to find, and currently offered reloading tools and processes, that make a fast 7mm for western hunting. I did a 7mm-300 PRC
For this rifle I really only changed one aspect of what is already a pretty good case. All I did was neck it to 7mm. Thats it. No rocket science, no math, just a smaller bushing in the 300 PRC Redding die. In this configuration:
  • BAT Action
  • 24" PROOF bbl in 7.5 twist
  • AG Stock
  • Timney Elite Trigger
  • Kahles K624 scope
  • ADG Brass
  • 175 gr ELDX bullet
  • RL 25 powder
I am seeing 3172 fps at a 2/3rd up the ladder node which produces sub 1/2 MOA. Can go faster and started to see pressure signs at 3229 - but 3172 seems fast enough LOL

Anyone else doing something along these lines?

Attachments

• IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 345
I've got one, running 195s 2990fps from a 22" barrel with N570 from adg brass. Very impressed with the cartridge. Dallas Lane specd the reamer so it's got some tweaks similar to the Wheeler specs to eliminate pressure signs. I'm going to be doing a 338 version as well.

I can't believe Hornady hadn't done this yet, to be honest. Been waiting... Good on you for taking matters into your own hands ☺️

I honestly believe there is a niche to be filled in the market for that size 7mm. Sure, I know there is the 7 rem mag, 7 wsm, etc. But I think a non-belted 7mm at those speeds would do well. Especially with a lot of marketing hype like Hornady is so good at.

I can't believe Hornady hadn't done this yet, to be honest. Been waiting... Good on you for taking matters into your own hands ☺️

I honestly believe there is a niche to be filled in the market for that size 7mm. Sure, I know there is the 7 rem mag, 7 wsm, etc. But I think a non-belted 7mm at those speeds would do well. Especially with a lot of marketing hype like Hornady is so good at.
I suspect you may be right about Hornady and maybe if there had been a live SHOT show they might have done it.

Have been working with wildcats, or non-standard SAAMI rifles for quite a few years. Truly enjoy the process and discovering new and interesting ballistics profiles for hunting. I primarily build them to feed my theory. Big heavy bullet, going as fast and accurate as I can to ensure in hunting conditions, even marginal shots kill cleanly.
For this project I wanted to make it simpler. Take known components that are easier to find, and currently offered reloading tools and processes, that make a fast 7mm for western hunting. I did a 7mm-300 PRC
For this rifle I really only changed one aspect of what is already a pretty good case. All I did was neck it to 7mm. Thats it. No rocket science, no math, just a smaller bushing in the 300 PRC Redding die. In this configuration:
  • BAT Action
  • 24" PROOF bbl in 7.5 twist
  • AG Stock
  • Timney Elite Trigger
  • Kahles K624 scope
  • ADG Brass
  • 175 gr ELDX bullet
  • RL 25 powder
I am seeing 3172 fps at a 2/3rd up the ladder node which produces sub 1/2 MOA. Can go faster and started to see pressure signs at 3229 - but 3172 seems fast enough LOL

Anyone else doing something along these lines?
Dang..... That thing looks SHARP!