7mm PRC is here. SAAMI specs out

So just typing to type?
basically, that's it. have nothing positive to add so they just keep beating the same old horse to death. personally i wish they would hit the horse once and move on, it would allow others a more positive attitude to have a discussion without treads getting derailed

I looks like it's in between the 6.5prc case length and 300prc. So its an "extra medium". I kind hoped it was a 7-300prc. I love how hornady can't make ammo for their current PRC's but decide to drop another. Not knocking the new cartridge but hornady needs to "dance with the one who brought ya". Even before the PLANdemic you never saw much 300prc and even less 6.5prc on the shelves.
Heck you don't see much 147gr 6.5creed and unfortunately thats probably the most popular cartridge on the market today.
I'm sorry but a "new from hornady" cartridge better have a freaking crap ton of factory ammo on the shelves and not just PH and match.

Don't even get me started on the 6arc.
I started withe 6.5 C M, t h en to 6ARC,(gas gun) t h en to 224 Valkyrie, then just
Moved to 6.5 PRC, next I jumped to the bigger 300PRC and and now at 7SAUM, the 6GT & 6ARC Bolt gun.
I guess 7 PRC is next..lol
Hornadyis a Masrer ar Marketing and I'm a dummy at taking the bait abd biting t h e Hook.
It sure is fun though being retired retarded at the same time..lol

At least you know Hornady will make it eventually. Something close to that only exists in the 28 Nosler with 185 RDF's at guess what velocity... 2950. Nothing else exists in that range in any other round.

You guys always act like if a new round isn't faster than everything else than it's worthless. You have to remember that the vast majority of hunters and shooters don't build custom rifles and reload. To those people it doesn't matter if you can spend 4 grand on a custom rifle with a fast twist barrel and Wyatt's bottom metal so you can get peak performance out of a 7mm Remington, they will go get a Tikka in 7prc and a box of ammo off the shelf and get ~95% of what our customs get.
I would consider switching my 7 saum over to the PRC if the ammo becomes available off the shelf.

That's just what's wrong with the 7mm WSM.

There is nothing wrong with the slightly shorter neck on the 7 WSM. The internet was all aflame with indignation regarding the shortened neck so many of us had our favorite reamer makers make reamers using the .270 or .300 WSM cases with longer necks. A wildcat for sure so dies had to made, remember this was quite a while ago...

Zip forward a few years when a few of us determined that the slightly short neck had exactly no bearing on accuracy at all. Now we just need brass!:rolleyes:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2007/04/radical-wolf-pup-case-for-hunter-br/

This is no difference from many of the false beliefs inspired by folks needing attention on the internet. Most of us now at least, try out the new but tedious false findings before investing our dollars in an unsupported project.

:)

Last edited:
I would consider switching my 7 saum over to the PRC if the ammo becomes available off the shelf.
I have a .284 Bartlein Carbon Wrapped, gain twist barrel (blank) that was intended for becoming a SAUM as I wanted the neck length advantage of the SAUM casing, but given the EXTRAORDINARY difficulty in finding brass, I am now contemplating a switch to a 7mm PRC as .02 sacrifice in neck length is likely worth the ridiculous issues with locating brass...surely the 7 PRC will have PLENTY of options for brass in the near future.
What are others' thoughts in making the switch from SAUM to PRC?
Other than a SA to a LA configuration (quite frankly the SA for the SAUM with highest BC bullets was basically ruled out given the OAL limitation for mag-based application, as well as powder constraints due to deep bullet seating depth to fit the SA mags).

I have a .284 Bartlein Carbon Wrapped, gain twist barrel (blank) that was intended for becoming a SAUM as I wanted the neck length advantage of the SAUM casing, but given the EXTRAORDINARY difficulty in finding brass, I am now contemplating a switch to a 7mm PRC as .02 sacrifice in neck length is likely worth the ridiculous issues with locating brass...surely the 7 PRC will have PLENTY of options for brass in the near future.
What are others' thoughts in making the switch from SAUM to PRC?
Other than a SA to a LA configuration (quite frankly the SA for the SAUM with highest BC bullets was basically ruled out given the OAL limitation for mag-based application, as well as powder constraints due to deep bullet seating depth to fit the SA mags).

I won't be running too fast to that cartridge. I get 3000 fps with a 180 in my LA 284 running RL17. Granted it's got a 30" barrel but even my 25" hunting rifle in 284 gets me an honest 2925 with 180s. I understand the have to have newest cartridge mentality. I use it often. Great for those that will jump in on it looking for something new. I've all but replaced the 7mm magnums with the 30 caliber magnum. The newest bullets for the 30's have gotten pretty impressive. Gonna play with them for a while.
I'm building a long action 284 myself. It's going to be on a 22" barrel. It will be the perfect setup for me. Can't wait for it to be complete

Anyone else thinking about wildcatting this case? I personally would like to neck it down to .277 and shorten the freebore a touch to get it to a max coal around 3.2" to run in a medium length action. Anyone else got any wildcat ideas?
Yup, 30 Cal. I won't do it but I bet it easily matches the 300PRC in the lighter grain bullets. That and many of today's higher BC 30 Cal Bullets offering less weight.

Recent Posts