7mm PRC is here. SAAMI specs out

Reloaders will figure it out and will search high and low to secure enough brass to meet their needs. If I was not reloading, I would avoid it. There is no way I would buy a rifle chambered for a cartridge with a factory box of ammo costing $80+ a box unless I was rolling my own.
Even if you roll your own the availability of factory ammo is going to be much better than virgin brass and dies. I jumped on the 300prc train when it first came out and thankfully lapua started making brass. The powders needed are almost impossible to find......but hey I got pretty brass lol

Not the "7-300PRC" or 300PRC necked to 7mm.
It is an XM or LA cartridge, but not a full length LA...if that makes sense? An XXM cartridge?
A specced 180 @ 2950 is not beating the 7RM at anything except MAYBE in anemic factory loads? My 7RM pushes a 180 @ 2996 w. H1000 or a 184 @ 3050 w. RL26. Heck, a 7SAUM or .280AI can push a 180 @ 2900+. My 24" 7SS can push a 184 @ 2912.
Then there is the 7 Max, 7Mega, 7WSM, 7LRM, 7 Blaser Mag, Lazzeroni Firebird and Tomahawk, 7Wby, 28 Nosler, 7 RUM....
I think once handloaders get ahold of this, the performance numbers will increase, and I applaud innovation and new cartridge designs, but this mid-sized case doesn't make me all tingly. As popular as the 28 Nosler is, they would have been better off (in my opinion) of going a bit longer to a true LA case and keeping velocities in the 3050 range. Too many handloaders will match the 7PRC specs with what they already have.
Can you show me where I can get a box of factory ammo in any of the chamberings above that are loaded with 180's at 2950 or above?

Even if you roll your own the availability of factory ammo is going to be much better than virgin brass and dies. I jumped on the 300prc train when it first came out and thankfully lapua started making brass. The powders needed are almost impossible to find......but hey I got pretty brass lol
I've been finding H1000/Retumbo and N570 recently. Hit and miss tho

Can you show me where I can get a box of factory ammo in any of the chamberings above that are loaded with 180's at 2950 or above?
As soon as you show me where I can buy factory loaded 7PRC...
Screenshot_20220626-172556_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220626-172613_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220626-172809_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
At least you know Hornady will make it eventually. Something close to that only exists in the 28 Nosler with 185 RDF's at guess what velocity... 2950. Nothing else exists in that range in any other round.

You guys always act like if a new round isn't faster than everything else than it's worthless. You have to remember that the vast majority of hunters and shooters don't build custom rifles and reload. To those people it doesn't matter if you can spend 4 grand on a custom rifle with a fast twist barrel and Wyatt's bottom metal so you can get peak performance out of a 7mm Remington, they will go get a Tikka in 7prc and a box of ammo off the shelf and get ~95% of what our customs get.

Here's the new SAAMI specification drawing:

1656335967493.png

And the .300 PRC for comparison:

1656336087427.png

Apparently the newer 7mm PRC is 0.300" shorter than the original .300 PRC case.

For the DIY crowd, the shoulder will have to be pushed back a significant amount to achieve the print specs along with some neck turning and fireforming.

Enjoy!

:)

I'm super excited about this cartridge.

My custom 28 nosler is too overbore. This will be the sweetspot that many have been waiting for. Yeah it is the modern age 7 rm (long throat, fast twist, heavy bullet, non-belted). This is very welcomed and not to be understated.

For those having trouble seeing into the future yet, this is going to be THE 7 cal cartridge going forward. I suspect that it is just a matter of short time before top tier brass makers are on board. This standardization of 7 magnism is needed in the industry of longrange hunting.

Factory rifle options are getting good and this will help many folks from the otherwise custom world to get what they need for half the price, me 1st. I likely won't be selling off my customs but I will be supplementing my gun cabinet with factory options going forward. Edit: to be clear...I'll still be building customs also, LOL.

As a long range hunter appreciative to weight savings of the lighter rifles, this cartridge will be the sweet spot, IMHO.

Goodbye 7RM. You had a nice run. Respect.

I was hoping for a short action. It would've made me want one. Even though I already have my bases covered there with a WSM. The SAUM is the only successful commercial SA 7mm magnum right now. I feel like they could've gotten a lot of that market share with a shorter case.

Yall it's .180" longer than a 7wsm .1367" longer to the neck shoulder junction
.260" longer case than the 6.8 western
.245" longer case than the 7saum

Every single freaking time I read "new from hornady".... I start doing research to see what they knocked off and labeled their own.

This is very close in size to the sherman 7 mega.. js

I was hoping for a short action. It would've made me want one. Even though I already have my bases covered there with a WSM. The SAUM is the only successful commercial SA 7mm magnum right now. I feel like they could've gotten a lot of that market share with a shorter case.
Problem with the 7 saum is you can't seat long bullets out of the powder and into the lands without a custom reamer/throat. And you definitely can't fit them into a short action magwell once you do.

Short action is just too short to support the COAL that is req'd for the 180+gr high bc bullets that make the 7mm what it can be for long range hunting.

Now if you are preferring 162gr bullet then it becomes a close call, but eventually you have to start asking yourself why your not just shooting the 147/156 6.5 prc at that point.

I do love the concept of a long throated 7 saum in a long action (the way most guys run them), but not anymore than the 7 prc. They are very close at that point and the 7 prc has a bit more umph without being too overbore.

6.5 cal is better suited for short actions IMHO. Especially the 6.5 creedmoor (though not nearly as ideal for longrange compared to long action cartridges).

Post edit: now a 7 sherman short type case or a SHORTENED 7 saum would be a nice addition to the lineup for the high volume build or the ultralight rifle build while keeping you in the 7's for the ballistic advantages over the 6.5 creedmoor in a short action. Perhaps this is what you meant to begin with.

Last edited: