7mm Pills for White Tails!!!

I have shot a ton of Deer and Antelope with a 7 Rem mag and a 7 Rum using the old 162 grain Hornady HP Boat Tail Match and bullets. Now that they are no longer made I will switch to the ELDX. I may also try the ELD match as long as the jackets aren't too thick.

I would not use the 162 HP BT match on heavier game but for instant kills on deer at extended ranges they are just spectacular.

Just remembered what an old friend, God rest his soul, told me something about shooting deer. He had a 7mm Sharp & Hart, and he shot the heaviest bullet he could. I remember it as a German Brenniky(?) partition bullet of about 175 gr. He knew the ballistics and at extended ranges, knew that bullet would expand properly and go "plumb through, from end to end" if needed. He was a smart man and knew a great deal on shooting. I miss him and his education. I saw him drop one with it at a bit over 400 yds. and DRT.

Just remembered what an old friend, God rest his soul, told me something about shooting deer. He had a 7mm Sharp & Hart, and he shot the heaviest bullet he could. I remember it as a German Brenniky(?) partition bullet of about 175 gr. He knew the ballistics and at extended ranges, knew that bullet would expand properly and go "plumb through, from end to end" if needed. He was a smart man and knew a great deal on shooting. I miss him and his education. I saw him drop one with it at a bit over 400 yds. and DRT.
Great story and I know what u mean about missing old hunting partners. That said, 400 yards isn't really what most of us would call long or even extended range shooting. When I was posting I was thinking more in the 500 to 900 yard zone where conventional hunting bullets don't really open up sufficiently.

Am I the only one with mixed Berger reviews? I'm shooting a 180 vld at 2950 and it's either a pencil hole (under 400) or a total explosion. I shot a mule deer this year at 200 yds which is closer than normal and it penciled through the lungs. Then had to hammer bone to get it done and destroyed a shoulder and half

Long barrels in the 28 Nosler see copper fouling near the end of the barrel relatively quickly. I would not shoot less than the 195 gr Berger in that setup. It will make fouling more pronounced.
That said 180 vlds in my 24" 7mm Weatherby at 2950 make me feel like I'm holding Thor's hammer on big mule deer at range. Bang flop

Am I the only one with mixed Berger reviews? I'm shooting a 180 vld at 2950 and it's either a pencil hole (under 400) or a total explosion. I shot a mule deer this year at 200 yds which is closer than normal and it penciled through the lungs. Then had to hammer bone to get it done and destroyed a shoulder and half
I tried Bergers in 7 mags and 300 mags. I had the same issues with inconsistent terminal results. I only shoot Bergers at targets now as they are usually really accurate in anything I have tried them in.

I've had several penciling issues with Berger 180 Hybrid. I no longer use them. My friend used them as well till last season when he shot a mule deer buck that got up and ran away after being dropped. Just a few drops of blood. We both use 180 eldm now and we both killed elk and deer this year without problems.

Just run a hammer Bullets and be done. At your ranges you have no downside only ups. Faster and flatter with less drift for 99 percent of your shots or more.
Don't let the weight alone be the factor the lighter hammers get it done.
I've switch many of my rigs to them easy to load for and work at any distance.

I tried Bergers in 7 mags and 300 mags. I had the same issues with inconsistent terminal results. I only shoot Bergers at targets now as they are usually really accurate in anything I have tried them in.
That's too bad....maybe a bad lot? Never had an issue with Berger 190 gr Hunting VLDs in my 300 Win Mag. Everything I've ever taken in the field has dropped dead on the spot....from Whitetail Deer @ 100 yds in Va, all the way out to Pronghorn Antelope @ 825 yds in Wyoming.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.