7mm or 30 cal? Just for curiosity’s sake

7mm or 30 cal?

• 7mm

Votes: 150 54.9%
  • 30 cal

Votes: 123 45.1%

• Total voters
I never warmed up to the 7 mm rifles I had. They just didn't seem to do anything I couldn't already do with a 30 cal and have a greater selection of bullets to do it with. It kept with economy of reloading. I kept one .270 because it served a purpose as an inexpensive rifle that was very lightweight and of sufficient power and accuracy. But that is in comparison to 15 rifles in some variation of 30 caliber from the subsonic 300 BO to the 300 Win Mag.

I felt the same way for many years. On elk and moose, the .30cals just seemed to do more damage. For myself and many others the 180grain Nosler Partition has been the benchmark for terminal performance.

When it comes to long range, however, there aren't too many folks shooting Nosler partitions.

Im not an expert, but around here it seems to me the benchmark projectile for long range in 30cal is the Berger 215gr hybrid.

At 600yd, I would rather be shooting one of those in a. 308win, than a 180gr partition out of a 300 win mag.

I agree - technology has improved. If applied appropriately, real gains can be leveraged. Unfortunately, that can take some trial and error - take the (7mm) 160gr Accubond, for instance. I have had markedly poor performance when engaging deer at moderate velocity. They just poke a hole. The target is too soft, and the bullet is too hard. Compared to a 140gr Absolute Hammer at high speed, the results couldn't be more different.

I've gotta say, for me, projectile choice is more important than caliber (or even cartridge for that matter).

I haven voted yet. Kind of sad to see 30cal falling behind, but I agree with @Ben Keller - recoil is a consideration.
I don't think there is much argument in the fact larger calibers are more lethal. If recoil is a consideration, then I believe its best to shoot the largest caliber that you can shoot well. Any well placed bullet will kill better than one that is poorly placed. While I hunt with a 300 WEA for large big game, if the day comes that recoil becomes a problem for me, I wouldn't hesitate to drop down to a 7mm, or even one of the 6.5's as bullet technology has improved the lethality of these smaller bores. But for now, I'll stick with the big 30's. ( I've also got a 8mm RM that I'm just itching to hunt with )

Too many pages!

I didn't vote, because a 338 says "class!" It and the 375 Ruger are top mediums. For small, the 270 Win does it all but you could talk me into an 8" twist, soon available in the 6.8Western. Nevertheless, we do have a 308 for grandkids' hunting across the pond.

I have always had 7mm's and have handloaded them for years, have 7x57, 7mm-08, couple of 7mm Rem Mags and the 7mm LRH wildcat, just was never compelled to hunt with them

I grew up with the 30-06 and 300 Win Mag, killing just about everything in Alaska with them, the 300 RUM & 7.82 Warbird became my favorite moose/bear guns, they killed like lightning with 180-200 gr A-Frame, Accubond and X bullets , my solo moose hunts on the mainland & deer hunts on Kodiak with the 200 gr A-Frame bullet in 300 RUM were a definite testosterone & confidence booster with big Mr. Brown around, hate feeling undergunned and second guessing cartridge/bullet choice, the 300 RUM had a soothing. calming effect for an enjoyable hunt

Friend of mine built a 7mm LRH and has been using it successfully on moose for a few years now, Berger 195's whack them moose pretty hard leaving at 3250 fps and Axis deer on Molokai/Hawaii sure don't like them, (pics included)

might have to try that .... but then again I do have a 300 LRH and 30 caliber is just my flavor

0A93ED17-B20F-4159-AF50-10B4EEABDFDC.jpeg
64EAB0EC-8481-40B6-84B4-C4CCC1F399F5.jpeg
B241B852-CDAE-490C-9773-20E396D4E563.jpeg

Stick with the .300 win mag you have a more Bullets to choose from
That point always makes sense.
I voted 7mm. I have a 264wm, a 300wm and a 280 Ackley. But the Ackley is my favorite, and basically about the same as a 7 mag. It sports a 24" Bartlein 5R , 8.5 twist. Superbly accurate. The other two sport 26" barrels. It's nice to have choices!
.280ai is my current favourite, no brake no problem.
It's nice to have choices
Its a scientific fact men are getting weaker and aren't as strong as their fathers or grandfather's before them. We are soft. Hence the muzzle brakes, super soft recoil pads and more men being recoil sensitive. I think in another decade we will be having this same poll only the 6.5's will be stomping the 7mm's.
Yes. that's possibly related to drinking Latte and wearing Man buns.

Maybe evolution and technology play a part but the former 2 points are choices.

I like my 7mm-08 and it probably can out do a 6.5 but the technology and market focus is on 6.5.

The next fashionable thing to do might be sitting down to pee, just to show our seensitive side and to make toilets gender neutral. Don't laugh things have changed a lot in a short time who knows what's next.

One things for sure many western countries used .30s at war and the troops didn't get much choice I think they learned to shoot those old rifles as their life depended on it.

Agreed, there are many factors, so let's simplify it a bit. Let's take Berger's highest BC offerings in each caliber, and let's make the rifles identical (factory), too, except for the chambering.

Which one would you pick?

195g with a G1 of .755 out of a 7MM RUM

or

245g with G1 of .807 out of a .300 RUM?
If they are the only choices, I would take the RUM 30.
I have one of those now, never fired it cuz I can't get ammo for it, but if I did, it may be a good cartridge for ELR if any of my 33's or 37's failed for some reason.

Cheers.

Vorrei 7 mm, non ho intenzione di andare a caccia di orsi bruni, quindi non c'è bisogno di più. Questa sarebbe l'unica ragione per me per ottenere un 300 Win Mag o più grande.
7mm von hofe super express nessuno lo stesso

Would have to be .300 Winny (my first hipowered outing in 1974) - had shot 32-20 Lever Marlin & 30-06 as a kid - but if only one it would be 300Winny - had been experienced in 105 Gr. Screamers up to 220 RoundNose when after Moose in Big Bear Country 🤦‍♂️👍

7mm vs .30? Good question!

With old fashion bullets, the .30 was the historic favorite. But, times change and technology improves. With modern bullets that hold together well, the 7mm is the clear winner. The 7mm will easily take anything in North America, and grain for grain, the 7mm has a better BC than the .30 cal.
👆🏻This!!👆🏻My thoughts exactly. Could not have said it any better.

As I find myself getting closer to 70 and after 2 knee replacements I sold my 6 lb. 6.5 cm. I still like my 300 WM ,but I seem to like to reach to the back of the safe and grab the rifles inc. 280 ai, more often. If I had to choose my brain says 300 or 338 rum, but my body says 280 ai. !!!!!!!!!
I have the same thing happen to me. Reach past the bigger bores for the .280ai or 7mm. Sometimes it's harder than others. 😂

I have a 6.5 and a 6mm creedmoor but have never hunted with them. I have found that I love them for range work; cheaper to shoot and get to practice technique without getting beat up.

I'd take a 300wm over a 7mm any day. I have hunted with both and every Bull I've shot with my 7mm covered a lot of ground with very little blood to follow. Every Bull I've shot with 300wm dropped to the ground and was game over. Both shoot very well at long distance but I like the confidence that my animal is going to the ground quickly with 300wm

Question says it all. The 22s, 6mm, 6.5, and .338 bore are all pretty common here but it I think it's safe to say the big 7mms and 30s are the unchallenged all range all purpose hunting versatility kings. I bet pretty much everyone on here has at least one 7mm or 30 caliber rifle.

im a 30 guy myself, .300 win mag being my favourite cartridge to play with, .30-30 being what I learned to shoot centerfire rifle with.

but I only bought my first .300 because my other rifle was a .270 win and I wanted a more significant difference in performance than what a 7 would gain. No regrets. But if I didn't already have a 270 I may have gone 7mm mag and had no reason for a .300 or a 270, who knows?

the 7mms are objectively the best of all worlds for long range hit probability. The 180 eld m for example has a bc of .79. There are no similar bc bullets of lesser diameter that I'm aware of and to exceed this bc significantly starts at the 250 atip or such. That's a huge jump. Not to many 30s, if any, will be launching a 225-250 grain at comprable speeds to a 7stw or 28 Nosler with that 180, and if they do it won't be in as portable or pleasant to shoot package.

that said, I maintain the big 30s hit and affect big game very noticeably harder than the 6.5, .270, and 7mm cartridges so they get the nod from me

Now for the just for fun question. If you could only own and shoot either a 7mm or a .30, not both, which would you choose?

Looking for load data for 7mm mag, I have a Tikka 3 in 7mag and shooting Barnes MRX 150 gr. I see several load data from Barnes Book however the new online data is different from the 2008 book and then I look at Hodgeon's data and the loads start out at what Barnes top out at. H1000 shows 67.2 start 73.8 max any body have any input it would be great.
Gaviota Mike

Last edited: