7mm or 30 cal? Just for curiosity’s sake

7mm or 30 cal?

• 7mm

Votes: 150 54.9%
  • 30 cal

Votes: 123 45.1%

• Total voters
Really depends on barrel rate of twist. To really utilize the potential of even the old stand by cartridges with new heavy for caliber, high BC bullets, twist rate has to be correct. Generally, the 300 Win and 7mm RM won't stabilize heavys with "standard" twist rates.
A standard .300 WM with 1:10" will stabilize Berger 215s, 220s, and 230s. Not bad choices of heavy and high BC bullets for a standard twist.

Last edited:
I've killed almost every North American animal with a 7mm-08. It's everything you want. It has energy, flat shooting, low recoil and accurate. 140 partitions
Congrats, sounds like you're happy and proficient with this cartridge. It's funny, where I live (north-ish Saskatchewan) I actually don't know anyone personally who shoots a creedmoor yet. The big five around here are .308, .270, 30-06, 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag pull over a random truck during hunting season and you could put money down there's a rifle chambered in one of these in there most of the time.

the .243, 223, 22-250, 303 British, and .30-30 are also super popular as in anyone who owns guns owns at least one of these, though less seen for big game hunting.

but in the last decade the number of people I know personally I who have revealed to me, almost like it's a big secret, that they're now shooting 7mm-08s is kinda surprising actually. Between that and the 6.5 creedmoors success elsewhere I'm seeing that those 100+ year old European cartridges must have been designed well to begin with (6.5x55, 7x57)

I stuck with .30's all my life, then I got a good paying job and I bought my Cooper in .270 Weatherby mag. It used up power quickly, was accurate enough and recoil became unpleasant after I had a motorcycle accident. Factory ammon for these belted magnums is ungodly expensive like 2.5 to 3 times what "normal" ammo costs. A buddy at the range had his chrony set up and let me use it, I was getting 3245 fps with 150gr noslers. He sat down with his .270win and showed me that he got 2950fps. Not as much of a gain as I had hoped. Eventually I sent the rifle back to Cooper and had a conversion to .270win and I've never regretted it. I shoot it better and I get more than my share of one shot kills. A hunting buddy was married to his 30-06 until he tried out a 7mm-08. He regularly harvests deer at 400-600yds. He took a moose at under 100yds and an elk at 180yds. I don't think his '06 has seen the light of day in 10 years. Nuff said that if you become proficient with the rifle/caliber either one is a good choice.

In '72 I saved enough to get a new 30-30 for $69. Later, my dad gave me a 742 Rem in 30-06. 20 years ago, bought a 30-06 Rem SPS. Killed a bunch of critters with both rifles. 10 years ago, a buddy wanted to sell his 7RM, so I bought it. Doing a lot of research then, found 7mm to be in that ballistic sweet spot for long range and the US F Class team won a bunch with them one year, so I had one built as a hunting rig.
Tough choice on voting. I went with the 7 bore. Lots of bullet choices in this caliber today and a variety of chamberings. I just got a 280AI built and love that. Nothing wrong with the heavy 308 bullets and choices in chamberings.
I guess for powder mileage, the 7mm's do a lot of work for less fuel overall. It's a great desert hunting cartridge.

It is interesting to see the trending in the replies. I grew up on 30 caliber and hunted for many years with 30-06. 15 years ago or so I bought my first 7mm RM in stainless Sendero. This rifle has caused me to switch over more and more. I vote 7mm especially with today's higher BC bullets available. I have and shoot many calibers from 22-250 up but fir hunting I like the 7mm.
I drank the Creedmore Koolaid like a lot of you and I like it as a target rifle, but I haven't hunted with it.

There are many good reasons and opinions people have listed here and, to me, all are valid in their on way. Of course, one needs to consider many factors when choosing a particular caliber or even weapon. We all look at different factors when we select a vehicle, whether it be for solely ourselves, family, use etc. A gun isn't, and shouldn't be, any different. That said, my personal preference is the 7mm RM. That's not to say it's better than any other caliber, generally speaking, or that any other caliber is sub-standard, it is my preference for what I want and use it for.

I once owned a 7mm RM, and killed a fair amount of large big game ( elk/moose) with it using 160 and 175 Nosler Partitions. I later switched to 300 WM using 180 and 200 gr. Partitions. Comparable bullets and velocity, but more frontal area and weight proved to me that the big 30's are more lethal. That said, I do hunt with a lovely semi-custom Ruger Mk 2 in 284 Win. that I just love for deer hunting. While either caliber will do the job, I lean towards the big 30's for large big game.