7mm-o8vs/308win

targetbuster

I am looking at buying a new all arount heavy barrelled rifle.(varmint style) I have narrowed down my choices to two guns. The new remington 700vsf(spring 2005 remington site) and the tikka t3 varmint stainless. I will be customizing the gun over time. I was wondering weither the 7mm-08 or the 308win would be a better choice. The 700 is chambered in the 308 but doesn't come in the 7mm-08. I was leaning towards the 700 in the 308 because of its reputation. The 308 has been used for many years and seems to be a well mastered round. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. In God I Trust!

I'm not thrilled with Remingtons quality on production rifles nor is their customer service worth a crap. Not withstanding those 2 issues, if you intend to customize the rifle over time, then the Remington would be a much better choice. Very few aftermarket goodies are available for the Tikka.

You didn't mention what you intended to use the rifle for. If its for shooting paper than I'd prefer the .308. For shooting varmints I'd much rather use a smaller bullet diameter cartridge.

I will be using the rifle for an all around gun. Varmints, targets, and deer. I did not know that remington was loosing its reputation until I joined long range hunting. What kind of problems are people having with them? I really like the remington but it appears from reading other peoples comments that my mind may be changed towards the tikka. It seems that it may not need any customizing.

In God I Trust!

I've got a Tikka (pre-T3 model) in 7mm-08. With taylored handloads it easily shoots 1.5" groups at 200yds. Thats far more accurate than I need for whitetail. Groundhogs out to 300yds should not be much of a problem either.

The Tikka has a owner adjustable trigger, unlike the Rem's. Action is very smooth and overall quality is better than the price would indicate. For an out of the box rifle, I'd take the Tikka any day. BUT, if your gonna give in to the custom bug, buy the Remington.

To answer your question about Remington's quality control, well, that all depends on what day of the week the rifle was manufactured on. If you surf the net enough you will hear a lot of horror stories from owners of Rem 700's that should never have left the plant.

Do a search on Tikkas and shooters can't say enough good things about them. I guess you could look at them as a poor man's Sako.
grin.gif

VH

Thanks varmint hunter. I was just looking at the tikka site and they garantee 1 inch moa. I also took a look at the calibers it comes in. I saw that it is chambered in the 270wsm. What do you thank of this caliber as an all around caliber. Be it varmints, targets, or deer. Also, does it hold up to the accuracy standards of the 308 and the 7mm-08? Thanks again.

In God I Trust!

I have no experience with the 270WSM. However, based on the ballistics for this new round it will do everything that a 270win could do and more.

It really isn't easy to get a single cartridge to excell at all three tasks that you've mentioned. You will have to make some compromises.

For factory ammo I'd go with a .308. If yo're going to handload then .243, .260, 7mm-08 would all be viable options. Personally, I like the 7mm-08. The 120gr V-Max bullet is very accurate in my rifle and there are hundreds of quality hunting and target bullets. The perfect whitetail cartridge, but not excessively heavy for vermin.
smile.gif

Here is a little info on the 7mm-08.
7mm-08

Varmint Hunter,
Thanks for the information. I'm considering reloading so you thank the 7mm-08 may be a good choice. I'm trying to stay away from the smaller calibers. I had a 22-250 in the remington 700vssf. It performed well. I killed 4 deer with it and not one moved from where it was standing, including one at 350 yards. I was shooting hornady 55grn. v max bullets. It was ok but there was no room for error in shot placement. Varmints didn't stand a chance but it was a little light for the deer size game. That's why i was wanting something a with a little more punch. So, there are good outcomes with the 7mm-08 handloads. I think I've been sold on the tikka t3 varmint. I'v got to find a dealer close to home and check some prices and hopefully around the first of the year I will be making a new rifle purchace. Thanks for all the information. Your thoughts on the tikka would be appreciated.

In God I Trust!

Varmint Hunter,
Forget the Howa. So, you thank the tikka t3 varmint will be the best gun between it and the remington? I may have to get the 308 because the tikka site stated that the 7mm-08 was available under special order only. I'll try to find a dealer that can order me a 7mm-08 but if I can't, should I go with the 308? Thanks for the information on the 7mm-08.

In God I Trust!

7mm-o8 with 139 interbonds and varget for deer!! I like my 7mm-o8. For a longer range gun I will be getting a 280 ackley improved. I feel like my 7mm-08 starts to run out of vel./energy at about 450-500 yards for deer and larger sized game.

Targetbuster, Based on your needs, the 7/08 would be worth finding and/or cutom ordering. If you are going to handload, the 7/08 will be very versatle for your needs. It can take elk on the high end and still bust paper & varmints. VERY flexible!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.