7mm nosler 150gr. ballistic tip

jotrot

looking for performance at certain ranges.
I have a beat up rem. 700 in 7 mag that is a pick up rifle that really likes the 150gr. b.t. how does that bullet perform at 500 to 700 yards and also at short ranges ?

thanks, joel

I have a beat up rem. 700 in 7 mag that is a pick up rifle that really likes the 150gr. b.t. how does that bullet perform at 500 to 700 yards and also at short ranges ?

thanks, joel

It performs very well, I have used it all the time and it expands perfectly from close range and should perform well at least 600 to 700 yards on deer sized game. Expansion is limited as velocity slows down beyond 700 yards. That is where the 7 STW or & Ultra Mag performs well at extreme distance due to higher velocity over the 7 Mag but will not hold together at close range with a muzzle velocity of 3300 to 3400 fps. 7STW and Ultra Mag will work just fine with ballistic tips over 200 yards but you will not see those bullets exit under 200 yards because of the violent expansion at close range, but has great knockdown effect. I always hit them behind the crease of the shoulders because it destroys a lot of meat as well. I use 140 Accubonds now, it holds better than the Ballistic Tips. You should try them sometime. You won't be dissatisfied.

Last edited:
I used 180g BT's for years. I left them because they were just too destructive for my liking. Caused way too much meat damage with good bullet placement. If the BT is the only thing your rifle will shoot then I would recommend the Accubond. Will shoot identical and hold together a bit better.

Steve

Tag.

I found the 150 NBT is the only bullets my Sendero 7mag will shoot well.
If it keeps up the good work it just might make the cut for TN whitetail next season. ( all my rifles get equal opportunity through out the year to prove themselves ).

It performs very well, but will not hold together at close range with a muzzle velocity of 3300 to 3400 fps. 7STW and Ultra Mag will work just fine with ballistic tips over 200 yards but you will not see those bullets exit under 200 yards because of the violent expansion

I don't believe this to be true. Yes the accubond should be the better choice up close I have yet to have one fail at close range. As a matter of fact I have taken several whitetail deer with mine several out to 500 yards with great performance even when hitting the shoulder. As far as close range I have yet to have one Blow up. My first experience had me scared to death. I was in Kansas and got dropped in a stand with the longest shot of 82 yards. I was using my hart built 257 Roy with a 28 inch tube pushing that bullet over 3400fps well above where it should be. I spent most the morning thinking of all the bad things that could happen. Then I dropped my buck at 78 yards and bullet worked perfect entry exit not a ton of damage. I was so shocked that I shot two more doe back home at close range just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Again it worked perfect. Never had one fail on any pigs or deer at close range. Need less to say all my accubond bullets have yet to be loaded and prolly won't. Bt or Berger from here on out great results for barrel to at least 500 in my experience.

Like others said though the accubond my be the safer way to go. When I first did mine I had a load worked up with accubonds for close range 300 and under that had identical poi as the bt. So my thought was to chamber the first round with a accubond and second with a bt. That way I knew I was on point out to 300 and if I had the chance farther I would just rack out and slide the bt in and follow my drop chat. Then the Kansas hunt happened where I was stuck with bt and it worked out great.

The BT. I did believe at one time they would explode at close range but have not been able to get one to do it with my .257 Roy. That a tough gun to beat for speed with a 28 inch tube. Yet to have one fail. I think it's much like the Amax for hunting. It's very soft and many people reccomend not it but the farther out in distance the better a soft bullets works imo. I've yet to try the Amax but know many people who swear by them. I prefer a hunting bullet but just wanted to make the comparison

The BT. I did believe at one time they would explode at close range but have not been able to get one to do it with my .257 Roy. That a tough gun to beat for speed with a 28 inch tube. Yet to have one fail. I think it's much like the Amax for hunting. It's very soft and many people reccomend not it but the farther out in distance the better a soft bullets works imo. I've yet to try the Amax but know many people who swear by them. I prefer a hunting bullet but just wanted to make the comparison

I remembered a hunt for Impala at a exotic ranch, I was using a 7 STW with 140 BT around 3475 fps. The impala walked away, quartered away from me slightly and I aimed at the last rib before he disappeared from sight, it was around 80 yards. The BT hit him where I aimed, I just knew it but did not see him go down, he just bolted around the corner and into the trees. I was dumbfounded and the guide asked me" Where did you hit him?" I answered " at the last rib going towards the lungs" He shook his head and said " You draw blood and cannot find the animal and you will need to pay for it". I was scared shitless, lol. We waited about 10 mins and we got off the truck to track him down, but I only saw a piece of meat about the size of a pea and no blood trails. But further down about 20 yards I saw some tracks and something being dragged and it was damp in the dusty earth, but had no clue what it was. We found him with a herd of impalas about a quarter of a mile down. He was resting against a tree already dead with his entrails being dragged, I would say I saw a hole about 10 inches across and about half of his ribs and side were obliterated and almost all of his guts were hanging out like 5 feet behind him. I just hate to wound an animal and it was my first. The BT just blew up on impact causing a wide wound channel without any penetration. It's why I was reluctant to use a 140 BT in a 7STW again unless its over 200 yards but I have not had an issue using it in my 7 Mag at close range due to its 200 -250 fps less velocity, but I just love the Accubonds due to its ability to hold together better. It's just me. :cool: I would want to experiment with Amax one of these days, its a great bullet.

Last edited:
I used Federal factory loads with 150 BTips in my 7 mag for years in the late 90s and early 2000. Harvested at least 15 whitetail deer with them. I took deer from 25 yards out to 450 yards. Many were emphatic DRT kills, while the rest were 25 to 50 yard runners.

My thoughts:

The 25 yard shot grenaded in the chest but the animal was dead, dead, dead.

Most of the short distance runners were shot through the boiler room with complete pass through. Just needed a few steps to realize they were dead.

Most of the DRTs were spine shot.

I have since started reloading and have developed loads for the RM using 150 BTips. I see great short distance accuracy, but I don't see that accuracy carry out to 600.

I think the 150 is great out to 300, good out to 500 but I wouldn't consider the 150 BTip much beyond 500 for reliable one shot kills.

thanks, joel

It depends. If deer or antelope, this will be exceptional. It is meant to expand a lot, and leave it all inside...very very good for deer. If elk, not so much, at least compared to something like the Accubond, which will allow you to penetrate the off shoulder. Elk are just so much thicker, you need a tougher bullet to be sure of a kill on them. I'm sure plenty of folks have toasted elk with this bullet, but why(?) when an accubond is just a better elk bullet. So....it depends...on what you want to hunt. BTW, the accubond is a very good deer bullet (not as good as the BTip, but in a 7mm, who cares!!!?) and it will be better if you want a do-it-all load. IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.