7mm (nos btip vs amax or vmax)

bydhrpr

I have made cosistent clean kills with a 140 nosler ball tip out to about 800 yds.(Whitetails) I have been wondering about hornady's amax and vmax bullets.
Can anyone tell me how the amax or vmax bullets for a 7mm wsm would work at long range for deer.

Thanks bhrpr

My experience is with the Amax, 162 grain out of a 7mm Dakota at 3400 fps. One shot kills on 3 deer from 525 to 690 yards. Great performer.

They don't make a VMAX for the 7mm, but If they did, it would explode on contact, they're made for varmint hunting, and when they hit there's nothing left of em' Jay

.. **** Jay.. I reckon I better not shoot these 120gr 7mm VMax's then.. If they don't exist it's gonna make load development a real pain..!!
grin.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif
JiNC

shocked.gif
Well, I'll be..!! Nothing like being brought up to speed.
grin.gif
That's actually nice to know, as previously I was shooting some older 120gr Sierras. So you fellas like the 120gr VMaxs, eh? Might have to give those a try--I liked the 120 Sierras in my 7-08 quite a bit...

D

**** Jake, I didn't see that one in the corner of my Hornady catalog, ya know, I've read this catalog about 1000 times and now I remember seeing them in here, are they as explosive as the smaller calibers? I'd assume they are, since thats how Hornady markets VMAX bullets. Jay
blush.gif

.. I can't say fersure how they do on varmints but they sure make a mess of them sodi-pop's.. Hehehe..
shocked.gif
grin.gif

THE V-MAX BULLETS ARE VERY EXPLOSIVE IN MY 17 REM THEY GO IN BUT THEY DON'T COME OUT.
AS FAR AS THE 7mm MY TIKKA 7 MAG LOVES THE HORNADY 139gr SST HAVE NOT TRIED THEM AT ANY DISTANCE YET BUT PUT THE HURT'N ON A DEER UNDER 200 YARDS

The 120 VMax is very accurate in my 7mm WSM. I am using it for long range coyote hunting so as to reduce the chance of a ricochet. I know there are bullets that might carry further but that's not my primary concern.

With a full charge of RL 22 and 215M's I have had a number of one hole groups as far as 200 yds. I am still working on the bedding on the third stock on this M 70 Classic.

As to what would happen on a deer I have no idea. I don't think anything wants to get hit by this bullet however.

If the bullet you are using now is working at long range I think you should be very happy and just keep using it.

I have used the 55gr vmax bullets on deer permits. They were fired out of an AR15 out to max ranges of 350to 400yds. 90% of the shots were head shots and the rest in the boiler room. The deer flop right in their tracks when hit with these things!!! I switched to the 68gr hollow points to get a little more range.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.