7MM - Need to make a choice

rifletuner

I have a 270 Wby (Rem 700 long action) that I am not happy with, so have decided to rebarrel to a 7mm. I am looking for a long range hunting rifle with good horse-power. I am not looking for the most efficient round, because the rifle will only be used for some load development, then hunting. Bullets will be 170gn and up, VLD style. I am thinking an 8 twist barrel would be preferred to give me options with some of the newer high BC bullets.

I have considered the 7WSM, a 7mm/375 Ruger wildcat, or the 7mm Rem Ultra Mag. The 7/375 Ruger seems like a very good option ballistically and would be my first choice, BUT I am not sure that I want to go down the route of sourcing dies and forming brass.

The 7RUM solves a lot of these issues, but really is getting into big case "barrel burner" territory. However given that I am not too concerned about barrel life, and do want to run heavier bullets, the 7RUM may well be the "best" option for me.

At this stage of the process, is there anything I have overlooked? Or have I talked myself into the RUM chambering?

7 Rogue by R BROS Rifles
Give them a call
Shoot the 180's at 3100 FPS in a 26" barrel

If you plan on shooting much for practice the 7 rum just won't last. I've shot them out in 300-500 rounds. I'm not overly concerned about barrel changes personally but thats rediculous. This is slow fire and careful cleaning, I pitched it. 7 rem mag will do everything the rum will and I spend much more time shooting then smithing. Even the stw is pushing it for me. I'm sure some people get more life or at least think they do, I based it off accuracy and once it went over moa checked with bore scope, they were pretty hammered. Do yourself a favor plain old 7 mag and enjoy life, kills to 1000. Targets to a mile,better brass, cheaper, lasts 10 times longer, less recoil. rum will get there a little faster but kills the same. I've seen it and done it.

7stw or 7x300; either will kick a 140 to 3400 fps with enough pipe and a 175-180 to 3100 fps.
The last 7mmstw I had was still putting up .4 to .5 moa with 1500 rounds down the tube. The load was enough rl25 to get 3450 fps with a 140 accubond or sierra pro hunter. I didn't baby it and it was a factory sendero pipe. My current pipe has got 300 rounds and change on it and she isn't even rounding out the rifling origin yet. The 7 rum will kill a pipe in 600 rounds or so like the previous poster said; been there, got the heck out of there.

7stw or 7x300; either will kick a 140 to 3400 fps with enough pipe and a 175-180 to 3100 fps.
The last 7mmstw I had was still putting up .4 to .5 moa with 1500 rounds down the tube. The load was enough rl25 to get 3450 fps with a 140 accubond or sierra pro hunter. I didn't baby it and it was a factory sendero pipe. My current pipe has got 300 rounds and change on it and she isn't even rounding out the rifling origin yet. The 7 rum will kill a pipe in 600 rounds or so like the previous poster said; been there, got the heck out of there.

I've never owned an stw or 7-300 but sounds like they are the happy maximum for performance and resonable barrel life.

I've never owned an stw or 7-300 but sounds like they are the happy maximum for performance and resonable barrel life.

I do believe they (and a few wildcats that approximate) are about it with current barrel steel. Of course you could fry out an stw before 1500 rounds if you were extreme in your loading, shot in very hot weather a lot, or let the bbl heat too much, but if you are at all concerned for your gear it'll go 1500 rounds plus.

I do believe they (and a few wildcats that approximate) are about it with current barrel steel. Of course you could fry out an stw before 1500 rounds if you were extreme in your loading, shot in very hot weather a lot, or let the bbl heat too much, but if you are at all concerned for your gear it'll go 1500 rounds plus.

Agreed, I don't push things in the reloading or barrel heat dept, keep things clean. The factory tube on the 7rum I had that only made it to 330 I believe may have been a crapper but the benchmark I replaced it with was a very nice barrel, I was gentle on it and got just over 500 when accuracy started dropping off and before 600 was shooting over moa. Throat looked nasty. Lookin back on things maybe the stw or like would have been fine that rum soured my over bore desires quickly so I went a safe route with the 7 rem.

Thanks for the first hand info, if I manage to wear my current configuration out and find myself in Fergus B's shoes maybe I will go with the 7-300 since I have hundreds of 300wm brass lying around.

The only thing I really like about the 7rum I had is how quickly it tuned (had a .3 moa load in 40 shots) and the 4 kills I got with it. I've **** near been straight up called a liar on the stw sub forum talking about them. At 600 rounds down the hole the rifling was feathered thin at the throat and the accuracy was going, so I went to a lh 300 rum.

I hear ya, mine shot almost to good to be true, just not for very long. For a guy that strictly hunted inside 600 yards and didn't want to practice to stay proficient and long range , kinda defeats the purpose of a big 7 but it would prob last along time. I for one don't feel confident taking long shots without practicing those long shots enough to consistantly make them. To many things can go wrong even if your consistent enough to make them, so for me to ethically take the long shots I practice a lot. Had I kept my shooting inside 600 yards that 7rum would probly still be with me.

The only thing I really like about the 7rum I had is how quickly it tuned (had a .3 moa load in 40 shots) and the 4 kills I got with it. I've **** near been straight up called a liar on the stw sub forum talking about them. At 600 rounds down the hole the rifling was feathered thin at the throat and the accuracy was going, so I went to a lh 300 rum.

I've been called a liar saying the STW can get 1500 rounds of barrel life... Last I heard, Layne Simpson still has the very first STW he ever created and still shoots it from time to time...He created the cartridge in 1985...

I have had my Rem 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW (factory chambering) since new (11 years now), and it has been nothing but a tack-driver. Still on the same original factory barrel, and it has a 9.25" twist and loves the Berger 168 & 180 VLD's, too.

I highly recommend the 7 STW if you're looking for decent barrel life and extreme accuracy out of an overbore 7mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.