7mm max cream of wheat fire forming

It will probably take a bit more. Don't be bashful. I use 20grs of Bullseye, with NO cream of wheat - just tissue and get good initial forming.
Great to have this chance to chat with you again. I have just now heard of this process so very unsure about it. I have Hodgdon Clays shotgun powder. So what about 15 grs of that? And just twist in the tissue paper till it fills the case mouth?

Don't be fooled that this is SAFE to just pick a charge weight and run with it.
I blew primers and had ejector marks forming 375 Weatherby from H&H brass due to the Semolina clumping in the case.
Work up!!

Cheers.

Don't be fooled that this is SAFE to just pick a charge weight and run with it.
I blew primers and had ejector marks forming 375 Weatherby from H&H brass due to the Semolina clumping in the case.
Work up!!

Cheers.
Since it is a safety issue, please elaborate and share your real-world experience. I do not remember who shared a similar experience (???), but IIRC it was either @Rick Richard or @Ranger Rick (???, my apologies if it is not). IIRC, he thinks because he did not shoot sooner. I normally shoot my COW loads the following day add so far, no issues.

ADDED/CORRECTION:

It was @Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle on COW.JPG

Last edited:
Since it is a safety issue, please elaborate and share your real-world experience. I do not remember who shared a similar experience (???), but IIRC it was either @Rick Richard or @Ranger Rick (???, my apologies if it is not). IIRC, he thinks because he did not shoot sooner. I normally shoot my COW loads the following day add so far, no issues.
Not me. I eat that stuff not shoot it. Lol.

ADDED/CORRECTION:

It was @Rich Coyle

View attachment 264067
Feenix,
I am unsure of the cause, it was either the bore getting dirty after 30 rounds fired or an anomoly with the Semolina clumping up.
Anyway the previous rounds fired were absolutely fine.
This was with Clays or Universal powder.

Cheers.

Good afternoon folks.
I have had a .243 for many years but the barrel is getting tired. I am considering replacing the barrel with a faster twist for VLDs and make it an AI. I have never fired formed a load, so a couple of questions.
Is the COW process messy when you clean up the barrel? Does coffee really work as the filler?
Thanks for your experiences I read in the post

Good afternoon folks.
I have had a .243 for many years but the barrel is getting tired. I am considering replacing the barrel with a faster twist for VLDs and make it an AI. I have never fired formed a load, so a couple of questions.
Is the COW process messy when you clean up the barrel? Does coffee really work as the filler?
Thanks for your experiences I read in the post
Several of us in this thread do not use COW or any filler. Simply a powder charge and tissue paper to keep the powder in the case. There is no mess just very fine shreds of TP a few feet in front of the barrel. It worked well enough for me that I never used any additional fillers.

Thanks for the reply. I have been reloading a long time but never fireformed. My 243 used to ring steel pretty regularly at 450 yds but would not stabilize a 95 or 105 VLDs. I had the barrel set back a few years ago but it is time for an upgrade. I could still hunt with it inside 300 yds.

Just fast powder all I now use too (for years). Yes, COW or grits or coffee is messy. You need to clean the junk out of your barrel often and clean your brass inside and out (especially inside the shoulders). Works fine, though.
If you're gonna shoot heavies get at least a 1:8 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.