7MM Magnum for Texas Nilgai

I've taken two, both with my 340 and 225 TTSX bullets, first one was shot right in the pocket tight to the shoulder, but I didn't see that the shot angle was a bit quartered to. Bullet placement was perfect, clipped the back of the heart, (but just clipped), and clipped the bottom of the lungs. Bull was running off and second shot went high and shocked, but did not break the spine. When I got to him, he was getting back up and ready to fight, turned a bit and third shot broke both shoulders. Whew!!! Most unwilling animal I've ever seen.

Second nilgai was also quartering to, but I knew this. Bullet broke the near shoulder, destroyed the lungs. DRT.

Shoot them with a VERY strong bullet, smack in the shoulder as one would with African game.
Sounds like hammer or badlands bullets will do well! Appreciate your input.

Never hunted them but I've heard their hide is as thick as a wild pig shield. 7mag is a great caliber just use a heavy (160 gr or heavier) controlled expansion bullet like a partition, A frame, Barnes TTsx, trophy bonded....etc. I think I heard they are like African game where their vitals are more forward in the chest cavity. I'd look for some Nilgai anatomy diagrams and shoot em in the boiler room.

Who is 445 superman. :). Hey they, the owners of these places can do anything they want. Shoot maybe they should put minimum at 585 Nyati. Wonder if that can get through. If I called about a hunt and they said I can't use my 7mm. Of any flavor rifle I'll just call another place. But darn I would show up with my 445 supermag or my 41 GNR #2 OR MY 454 Casull
Well I got the quote right...but I bet your significant other says you are a superman..LOL

While I am a rabid fan of Partitions for whitetail deer, the front sections of A-Frames are tougher than Partitions and I favor them for elk-sized game.

Planning a hunt for next year. Nilgai is on my bucket list. Have my new 7mag , M70 Supergrade. Undecided weather to just buy a box of factory loads or reload my own.

I like making my own but will not pound this rifle with a lot of Maximum loads.

This being said, what would be your bullet choice? hand loaded or factory? I'm looking at the

160gr Partition
160gr Swift A-Frame

Nilgai are supposedly very thick skinned, hard to kill antelope. In fact the guides mostly require a magnum .30 caliber minimum to hunt. I guess they get tired of chaising *** shot animals all around the ranch

Both bullets are fine. I'd be more interested in the expected distance you'd be shooting from. 7mm RM seldom likes max loads. Being a Nosler bigot, you've got my vote for the Partition...FWIW , I killed a Kudu in South Africa PPU 165gn 30-06 outside of 100 yds. Grave yard dead on el cheapo ammo....You'll be fine as long as you put it in the boiler room. - Hand load for accuracy. Prove it out on the range. Let that confidence carry you well on your hunt...And above all -"Good Hinting"

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.