7MM Magnum for Texas Nilgai

I heard all of those stories about how tough Nilgai were so on my first hunt I carried a 416 Remington Magnum just in case. My hunting partner didn't want to shoot the 416 and only had a 7 mm RM. The outfitter required a 30 cal or bigger so I told my friend to bring the 7 RM and If ask, just tell him it was a thirty cal. We hunted together and spotted for each other and had the rifle covered.

He used a 150 grain partition and I convinced him that the 7 RM was plenty big for anything that didn't want to kill you. We flipped for who went first and he won so I spotted for him. I knew his load and drop so My job was to range for him and feed him MOA to use.

The first hunt, we got a chance to prove that the 7 mag would do it and after spotting a big blue bull I walked him in at just under 700 yards. Calmed him down and he did the rest. One shot through the lungs and after about 80 yards the bull went down. I shot mine at 360 yards with the 416 RM and a 350 grain A Frame and he went about 20 yards.

Both were shot through the lungs and no follow up shots were needed. As said, shot placement is the most important thing and the 7 RM proved to me that It was capable and up to the task. I don't think Swift makes an A Frame in 7 MM any more but if you can find them that would also be my choice.

knowing the animal and the possible distance, and also the eye site of the Nilgai , My preference now would be the 338 just In case. (We saw bulls at more than 900 yards But felt that ether rifle would be pressed to make those shots.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Use what is appropriate the outfitter is comfortable and more importantly you are comfortable with...more than likely your shot will not be long. I watched one bull absolutely polaxed with a 110 accubond out of a 25-06. Im fond of 338 and find them about right. 7mm through 338 is a good spot

Remember shoot farther foward as the vitials lie at the lower front part of the chest

I would go with the A Frame out of the two. Saying that I shot one with my 7 mag using the 168 Berger and it did not need a second shot. It was not full grown but shot placement is key. Mine was quartering away and ruined the entire boiler room.

I have heard horror stories from guides from every caliber under the sun. Most problems occur when people do not know how to use the equipment they brought. Know your guns and know your shooting limits.

A good friend of mine used 4 shots from a 300 Rum shooting 180 partitions. He tried to shoot a gun he never practiced with cause the recoil was terrible, and rushed the shot because he was uncomfortable with the gun.

This is exactly.

I have guided a fair share of nilgai hunts and a 7mag is not under gunned. Most places want 30 cal because they don't know any better. Work up a load with the 175gr accubond LR. That bullet is a great example of why a 7mag is more than capable.

Planning a hunt for next year. Nilgai is on my bucket list. Have my new 7mag , M70 Supergrade. Undecided weather to just buy a box of factory loads or reload my own.

I like making my own but will not pound this rifle with a lot of Maximum loads.

This being said, what would be your bullet choice? hand loaded or factory? I'm looking at the

160gr Partition
160gr Swift A-Frame

Nilgai are supposedly very thick skinned, hard to kill antelope. In fact the guides mostly require a magnum .30 caliber minimum to hunt. I guess they get tired of chaising *** shot animals all around the ranch
160 nosler partition or acubond

Nilgai are a tough animal the vitals are further forward then our native animals we have taken numerous when thinning herds on a couple ranches that dont allow commercial hunting a nosler accubond would be a good choice or one of the mono bullets we have taken them with everything from a 243 to 338 lapua but most were taken with a 6.5-06 improved shooting a 140gr. gameking find accuracy what ever bullet you choose as shots can be long if you are hunting a ranch were they are hunted alot Bob is correct about the 30 cal. some ranches require it or larger for some reason a bad shot from a 30 is no better than a bad shot from a 7mm so make a good shot and collect your animal
I have a good impression of the 150gn
Accubond long range with 62gn's IMR 4350@3325fps with a 26" barreled Browning
Fast, hard hitting and fly beautifully 🤠👍

If you already handload and don't have a bunch of factory ammo laying around you need to purge, then definitely handload. You already seem to be questioning your caliber choice, so at least load it the way you want it. Let your barrel twist and your groups determine your bullet choice. What I suggest (accubonds) really doesn't matter if they shoot like crap in your barrel. Good luck

If you already handload and don't have a bunch of factory ammo laying around you need to purge, then definitely handload. You already seem to be questioning your caliber choice, so at least load it the way you want it. Let your barrel twist and your groups determine your bullet choice. What I suggest (accubonds) really doesn't matter if they shoot like crap in your barrel. Good luck

I Hunted the Yturria ranch next to the King ranch
Years ago the Blue bull is Tough. Beg Barrow
Buy the biggest gun you can get. Or load the heaviest bullet for the rifle you have if the outfitter
agrees with the caliber. 8 to 10" is a good bull
Over that is super.

One shot one kill 7RM 160 Accubond 261-5yds.

Attachments

• 68E5F482-3A28-4733-A2F9-6A76BEB8DFBF.jpeg
    68E5F482-3A28-4733-A2F9-6A76BEB8DFBF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 309
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.