7MM Magnum...168 SMK?

MTGunner

Has anyone loaded Sierra 168 SMK for their hunting loads? Yes, I know the SMK is a target bullet. But, I have a good number of these to load and do not want to let them waste away. Thanx for the input. MTG

I have not (I shoot Berger 168 VLD's), but I recommend IMR 7828 SSC powder. You can get good velocities before hitting pressure signs.

I use SMKs, and other "match" bullets in most of my hunting rifles. Always had great results.
From .224 69SMK to .308 210SMKs and just about everything in between. Even the pointed SMKs like 6.5mm 142, 7mm 183, 7mm 197, and will be using the 6mm 110 SMK in an upcoming 6CM I am having AxisWorks build for me.

Last edited:
I had a load a few years back, in a extremely accurate 700p, that used a 168 Berger, and H1000, and Winchester WLR.
That load was a honest to goodness, less then .250 shooter, at 200 yard, in fact , smallest group was .189 @200.
It was also guilty of taking out a few crop damage deer as well.
But I must admit, I had less then perfect results, on the terminal end.
It might have been a off spec batch, or something. Haven't used Bergers since.
Sierra SMK's, can either pencil hole, or open up, no rythym or rhyme.

I tried the 168 SMK in a 7 mag several years back, they shot GREAT in that rifle. However I was less than impressed on a whitetail doe I had to shoot multiple times, staring at about 30 feet! Immediately switched to another bullet. I have and will continue to use the .338 SMK on game as it is a whole different animal, nothing but great results on deer and elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.