7mm-mag to 338RUM?

the Holland brake is a little cheaper to buy but a smith may charge you a little more to install because it has to be indexed so the ports are on top. I like the partition style better than the multi ported style.
As for the trigger if your gonna be getting the gun dirty or used in "field" conditions I to would also recomend the Rifle basics trigger over the jewell , but if this is going to be a designated bench-shoot house gun then go with the Jewell , but its gonna cost you about twice as much.
The HS stock doesen't need to be pillar bedded but a good skim bedding job generaly helps you on the guns with a FL bedding block.

well there's your answers bud. that makes sense about the jewells gumming up with a little grit. you can feel how tightly they are made as soon as you pull the trigger on one. the rifle basix is a **** nice trigger and you can adjust them down nicely. i would go for something around 2lbs with a clean sharp break in a hunting gun.

i would still tell you to go with the partition style break. something like the holland or shawn carlocks breaks.

JD sounds good on the hs stock, have it skim bedded by a good smith. Check out Kirby Allen and see what he has to say on it.

steve

Yes, just skim bed the HS stock. I would opt for a Defensive Edge brake personally. I have switched to them over the Hollands. Performance is the same but machining quality is better on the DE brakes and they are made from 416 stainless which is the same as barrel steel.

I actually charge less for a holland or DE brake compared to the Vias because of the lower brake cost.

And yes the Vias will still need to be indexed. Not as big of a deal but unless you line a row of ports up TDC or set TDC between two rows of ports the brake will look odd.

Maybe thats just the picky rifle builder in me coming out!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IF you ever shoot prone with this rifle the Vias will not make you happy. IT will make you dirty but not happy. The solid bottom of the Holland and Defensive Edge brake will eliminate ground debris from covering you from the brake blast.

Also the Holland and Defensive Edge will reduce felt recoil much more then the Vias.

Just my 2 cents.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.