7mm-mag to 338RUM?

Casey Napier

Sorry for the dumb question, but I am fairly new to having a custom rifle built. I can get a 7mm-mag Rem. action for a resonable price, and was wondering how much work would have to be done to the action, to convert it to 338RUM.

Thanks
RidgeRooster

A little machining to the bottom of the mag well area for the longer Whyatt"s box (may as well use the big one) and opening the bolt face and feed rails. Not realy a big job for a good smith.

The Rem 700 long action will handle any round from the '06 to the RUM case.

Since you already are looking at the 7mm Rem Mag chambering, the bolt face is already a magnum bolt face, same as the RUM. Only thing I have seen is that some bolt heads need a bit more chamfer on the inside of the bolt nose to work well with the large diameter rebated rim design of the RUM case.

Other then that, you can order in a Rem RUM box mag from Brownells which is a drop in fit to the receiver.

The feed rails may need some slight opening. I have built on Rem 700 standard magnum receivers that did not need anything but most need a bit taken off the feed lips, just enough for the big RUM case to fit between them is perfect.

If you want to seat your bullets longer then standard then a Wyatts mag box is a good choice but it is not a nessesity with the 338 RUM chambering.

Other then that the 7mm Rem Mag receiver will work perfectly.

Kirby Allen(50)

R.R., your smith would also need to make the feed ramp wider and deeper to make the rounds feed properly. When you put a 7mm Rem mag action side by side with a RUM action you can easily see the difference in the feed ramp.--RHB--

Polishing the feed rails and feed ramp a bit is all I have needed to do to get the RUM cases to feed well in a standard magnum Rem 700.

I have never seen a need to machine on the feed ramp and much prefer not to as that is the bolt lug support just a half inch ahead of the feed ramp.

You can get my with just polishing and I much prefer this to machining this area at all on a Rem 700.

Different strokes I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

One more question for the experts. I also have a H.S. precision stock that came off of a 25-06 Sendero, will it work with the 7MM-mag reciever?
Thanks for all the information.
RidgeRooster

Thanks for information, I think I will start gathering together my 338RUM. Since I already have a stock, and can get an action fairly cheap, I think I will save for a Jewel trigger, Vias break, and PacNor stainless fluted barrel. Maybe a Ken Ferrel base, and Burris tactical rings. How does this sound? Any suggestions?(this is a great forum)

RidgeRooster

I got to play with a 1.25lb Jewell today, they will bring a tear to your eye they are so good. Only prob with them is i do think it would take some time to get used to how smooth they are. you honestly can barely feel the trigger break in anyway, you just hear the fireing pin release.

I know of a couple of guys who have the Vias brake and they like them but I would point you toward the Holland QD break. It is a partition style break and they work amazingly good and IMOP they are not as load as a port style break. They are also not ported anywhere on the bottom so there is no down blast, I dont know if the Vias is ported on the bottom or not.

I had a bottom ported break on my 300RUM and when you shot it prone with the bbl over ground you would have 3" of dirt land on you after every shot, or in Oklahoma cases sometimes red ants!!!!

I have a Rifle Basix on my 270AM and it is great as well, you will be happy with either trigger.

Get a good pillar bedding job done and break the bbl in properly and you will be good to go

take it easy
steve

I have 2 Jewell triggers already, and also 2 Vias breaks. The Jewells and Vias are mounted on a 7MM-UM, and 6.5-06. They are both set at around 1lb. They are excellent triggers, but a little pricey. If the Rifle Basix is nearly as good, and a little cheaper, I would consider them. The Vias breaks are ported all the way around, and also on the muzzle. They are excellent. The shooting from prone is not a problem, as my 6.5 is a 1000 yard praire dog rifle, and my 7MM-UM is my long range deer rifle. I shoot both off of a homeade praire dog bench, or my deer stand on side of a bean field that is very solid, and allows use of sand bags.
How much do the Holland breaks usually cost, including installation?
Can you pillar bed the H.S. precision stock, that has the full length aluminum bedding block?

RidgeRooster

jewels will gum up with a little dirt and cold weather. great for a bench gun. rifle basix are made for hunting use.

d-a

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.