7mm Mag or 7mm STW better?

Dust270WSM

I am wanting a good long range rifle that i will use for whitetails and maybe an Elk hunt. I own a 7mag but have heard good and bad things bout the STW.

Is the Bigger STW worth it? Always thought it was a really cool caliber and a buddy of mine has one and loves it.

I plan on doing a build up. Probably get a Remington. Love the actions and can do a lot of customizing to it.

SO question is, is the 7mm STW worth the extra trouble and cost to get a really long range flat shooting gun or should I just get another 7mm Mag and build it up?

i got a Rem 700 STW and love it. I am just geting into the longer range stuff and changed from the 30-06 to the 7 stw. So far it seams to be a great shooting gun.

They are both great calibers, are you a reloader??? if not then you have to look at available ammo. If your out in the country and find you need more ammo then your chances of finding regular 7MM ammo is better then finding 7STW, I don't even know if anyone makes ammo for the 7STW????
But hands down my next 284 caliber is going to be the 7STW and then I want a 6.5 X 284, but its going to be a while. But this is just my opinion.

They are both great calibers, are you a reloader??? if not then you have to look at available ammo. If your out in the country and find you need more ammo then your chances of finding regular 7MM ammo is better then finding 7STW, I don't even know if anyone makes ammo for the 7STW????
But hands down my next 284 caliber is going to be the 7STW and then I want a 6.5 X 284, but its going to be a while. But this is just my opinion.

I know Nosler, Remington, and Federal make ammo for the 7STW.

The STW version will get 20% less barrel life and the same amount of increased recoil before the bullet leaves the barrel compared to the Rem. Mag. version. And the more powder a given caliber round burns, the more shots it takes to develop a very accurate load from scratch.

While your billfold may support a shorter barrel life, the increased pre-exit recoil makes the STW harder to shoot accurately if the rifle's held by one of us humans. None of us hold a rifle exactly the same way for each shot.

From identical gunss both the older version sendero. The 7rem mag got excelent accuracy with a 162gr.amax at 3000 and the stw had its accuracy node at 3240 with the same bullet. Both guns were braked so recoil wasn't bad. My preference is the stw

Both guns were braked so recoil wasn't bad.
I was referring to the recoil that happens before the bullet leaves the barrel. That's the part that makes the difference in ease to shoot accurate. The recoil after the bullet leaves the barrel doesn't matter 'cause the bullet's already on its way; how much the rifle moves then doesn't matter.

I know Nosler, Remington, and Federal make ammo for the 7STW.

ya i have seen the nosler localy here. the guy at cabellas told me that they only make the 7stw ammo once a year and when its sold, its gone till the next year. That is why i desided to start reloading, its easy to find the brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.