7mm Mag or 300 Mag for 1000y shots?

G

I will be buying my first 1000 yard deer rifle soon, and I'm pretty sure it will be a Savage 112BVSS, topped with a 10X Bushnell 3200 mildot scope.

What cartridge should I buy, the 7mm Remington or the 300 Winchester? I do reload, and the ballistics are pretty close between the two. Looks like the 7mm Mag has less recoil, but less options for a VLD design.

7 Rem is less recoil Hornady AMAX 162 is very good in accuracy and in BC ( over 0.6 )even if ther is very good bullets in 30 cal and broader range of choice , no need to have lot of bullets to be able to shoot best is to have one very good as AMAX and some custom maker produce other bulletas option choice as Berger or JLK

7 REM is an easy crtridge to shoot 1000 yards and be able to shoot paper argt at far range , AMAX stay supersonic over 1000 yards

good shooting

DAN TEC

Troll

Check the twist it comes with in each caliber. If you want to shoot the heavy (170+ gr)high BC 7mm bullets (Berger/JLK you will need a 1-9 twist. Do not think the factory gun will come with that twist. 7mm will be limited to under 170.

Same for the 300 win, you will probably be limited to 220 and under.

Now neither option is bad, just beware of the limitations and plan for it. You are not going to shoot the heaviest, highest BC bullets for either.

JLK 7mm 168 is .690 BC
Berger 168 .648
JLK 30 cal 210 is .665
Sierra 220 MK is .629

Might want to consider a variable power scope with mil dots also. You can use 10x, but limiting closer up and sometimes you might want more power for way out.

For the money, good choices!

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.