7mm mag elk bullet

muddycreek

Looking for suggestions on 7mm Rem Mag elk bullets. Right now, shooting 139gr BTSP interlock. I figured I would want to move up to something in the 150-170gr range to shoot an elk with. Wide open to suggestions. Hoping for a Kentucky Elk tag this year and going to start looking into what bullet to use. Thanks.

Looking for suggestions on 7mm Rem Mag elk bullets. Right now, shooting 139gr BTSP interlock. I figured I would want to move up to something in the 150-170gr range to shoot an elk with. Wide open to suggestions. Hoping for a Kentucky Elk tag this year and going to start looking into what bullet to use. Thanks.

It greatly depends on the range you plan on shooting. There are lots of good bullets to choose from so pick from a well constructed bullet that shoots the best in your rifle. If you are shooting at extreme ranges, go for high B.C. as a top priority (say over 600 yards). Some good choices would be Nosler accubond or partition, Swift scirroco (if they will group in your rifle)? Or several of the other bonded bullets, or even the monos. I would go for something in 150-160 grain. Good luck getting a Bign'......Rich

The 160gr nosler accubond has worked well for me. My wifes 7RM likes the 162gr honady SST. It has killed a few elk as well.

Yeah that hornady 162SST is a bad dude. Really looks good to me.

As far as range goes, I would expect it to be less than 300 yards, but just wanted to be sure I was good out to about 400. A friend shot one two years ago up there at 50 yards. So don't expect it to be like something out west.

Short ranges are where softer bullets, like SSTs or ballistic tips, or Sierra Game Kings are most likely to fail. If I were thinking my shots were going to be 400 yds, or closer, I would shop for harder bullets like Sciriccos, Accubonds, InterBonds, Barnes or the like. Something you know will withstand smashing through a big elk shoulder.

If they shoot for you, the 160-175gr PT's are great bullets. The 175gr PT can be pushed into the 2900's with a little load work. It has a .520 BC so it holds up well at longer ranges also. Plus, if you do get a close shot, I would be on a good exit to track the big feller down with. Good luck, hope you score big. Scotty

i have shot several with the 139 horn btsp. also shot 4, 175 sierra btsp. have not used a 140 or 160 partition they would be good too.

Barnes TSX or Tipped TSX (if longer than 400 yds) I love barnes bullets, you can go with a lesser grain ( I think barnes tops at 140g for 7mm) because they keep 99% of their weight. If memory serves the BC on the TSX is outstanding and I believe the tipped TSX was even a little better than that.

I've shot a pile of Elk with the 160 gr. Accubonds in my 7mm. None have taken more than a few steps. If you aren't loading yourself, I would give the Federal Premium ammo a try.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.