7mm lrm

If the op can manage a 300 Wby, I dont think theres going to be any problem with a 7 LRM.
thanks,i heard one time that 7mm calibers did not put game down as fast as say a 300 winchester .i have a 300 winchester and a 300 weatherby now.was thinking of maybe a 7 mm magnum of some sort.
Do you reload?
With the 300 mags you have a 280 AI would compliment your group of rifles nicely, I sure like the looks of a 7 LRM, Ive been toying with the idea of building one.
Of all my Wildcats, the 7 LRM is still my favorite build. I used a Rem 300RUM donor action, allows me to use the 3.7+ AICS mags and load OAL to as long as my chamber will let me.

We've killed 2 Coues deer at shorter ranges, 295yards 195 Berger and 200yards 175 Hornady. I shot a cow elk at 140 yards 195 Berger. All three are dead.

I don't think there are any factory rifles chambered in it. All three we have are customs. All very accurate hammers. It's a cartridge that was designed for hunting in that 500-1000 yard space very effectively.

I'm sure Gunwerks would like to sell a rifle. :) I think the ammo is $100-125/box. If that matters.

I do have a lrm as well I do love it as well with the 195 Berger. Hornady Brass was not great. I think that smashed it's popularity. I was getting right at 3k fps with retumbo. Most people chose the 180 over it because of the increased fps. If it's true adg is mfg brass for Gunwerks now I think it would really outshine some but not all the other 7s. Mine shoots great. Ts customs build. It's a cool cartridge in my opinion!

From Gunwerks "Velocity with a 180 grain bullet is 3075 to 3100 fps from a 26-inch barrel. NOTE: This ammunition is loaded long for accuracy. These cartridges may not fit in some factory box magazines. See COAL measurement to confirm fit with your rifle." I shoot 7 Rem Mag, custom recipe at 3000 fps. 168 Berger hunting VLD.

As recommended previously by David it's about accuracy and shootability.

Either of these rounds will do the job at less than 400 yards on any animal in North America except maybe moose or a grizzly. I'd go with a more popular cartridge. Unless you already own the gun. IMHO.
Warren Page hunted the world with a 7mm mashburn super mag loaded with 175 nosler partitions. That includes the coastal bears in Alaska. Actually moose are pretty soft. Not near as tough as a bull elk.

My hunting buddy has a 26" barrelled 7Lrm. Very easy to load for, very accurate, and extremely efficient. Built by a local gunsmith. It's shooting the 195's (actually a touch faster) than my 28 Nosler burning 10 grains less of powder. Looking back I would personally rather have went with the 7Lrm over the 28Nosler with the inherent problems the 28's have. Also like my 7RM and love my 7Wsm.

Other than the soft Hornady brass, it's a great cartridge. It with the ADG brass it would make it much better. Seems a bit more soft when shooting the 195's. Has done a great job on animals shooting both Berger 180's & 195's from any distance near or far he's shot with it.

Last edited:
My hunting buddy has a 26" barrelled 7Lrm. Very easy to load for, very accurate, and extremely efficient. Built by a local gunsmith. It's shooting the 195's (actually a touch faster) than my 28 Nosler burning 10 grains less of powder. Looking back I would personally rather have went with the 7Lrm over the 28Nosler with the inherent problems the 28's have. Also like my 7RM and love my 7Wsm.

Other than the soft Hornady brass, it's a great cartridge. It with the ADG brass it would make it much better. Seems a bit more soft when shooting the 195's. Has done a great job shooting both Berger 180's & 195's from any distance near or far he's shot with it.

I live near Tucson and am looking for a good 'smith. Seeing your location, may ask for his name and location?

I live near Tucson and am looking for a good 'smith. Seeing your location, may ask for his name and location?

Craigs custom rifles (CCR) out of Tucson. Kyle is fantastic to deal with! Very knowledgeable, great guy, and extremely professional. He backs his work and stands by it as well. Shouldn't be too far from you. La Canada Dr. and Lambert is the closest intersection. http://craigscustomrifles.com/

feel free to PM me if you want any specifics or have any questions. His number is in the link. Give him a call.

Last edited:
Fantastic! I have a new .45 to get slicked up, trigger job. Probably be a 30 minute drive. I think Diamondback Shooting Sports is excellent also but I will call Kyle. Can't know to many gunsmiths!

Thank you.

Fantastic! I have a new .45 to get slicked up, trigger job. Probably be a 30 minute drive. I think Diamondback Shooting Sports is excellent also but I will call Kyle. Can't know to many gunsmiths!

Thank you.

No problem, he does everything. A lot of high end work with custom actions or whatever you need. He's built a couple customs for us, done a fair amount of work for me, and building a LR muzzleloader for a buddy right now. I've got a 3 hour drive and still chose to go to him. Can't say enough good about him. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Lane Precision built a 7LRM for me a couple of years ago and I couldn't be more happy. I have killed numerous bears with it on a trapline from fairly close ranges, 18 yards, using 180gr Berger Hybrids and they work just as well at that distance as they do at 800-900 yards. Less recoil than a 300 Win Mag and super easy to load for with the long neck. Running just under 3000 FPS in a slower node to conserve barrel life with H1000. Make sure you have the room to load it long though, that is key.

I have a semi custom Tikka chambered in 7 LRM, and it has been amazing. Longest kill was a hog at 520 yards, and closest was my 13 year old son shot a Red Deer spiker at 200 for his first deer. In saying that ADG brass in transit 👍🏻

Ups and downs to all of them, I've drank the coolaid. At the end of the day it's a 7 rem mag. It doesn't do anything a 7rm can't do. I like different too, I went 7x300 win mag and it shoots like any well built rifle in any chambering should shoot. The 7lrm offers nothing over a 7rm, unless you prefer one source of brass. 7SAUM OR 7WSM In a long action will run right with it. The 375 ruger was necked down to a 7mm as soon as it came out. Gunwerks made it their thing, it had some traction for a minute. It's a good cartridge, it just doesn't fill any gaps, it did what's already been done, offered nothing new. It's just more of the same, which is good stuff.
Just don't think your going to shoot with cartridges that hold 10 more gr of powder all being equal. There is no magic in this game, powder makes pressure, pressure makes velocity. Some may be slightly more efficient than others, but to be honest after shooting and loading for a lot of them.....it's mostly smoke and mirrors. If you want something different, go for it. If your hoping for an edge in performance, just know it's very slight edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.