7mm lrm

I have a 7mm lrm and think it's a great case design. I like that it gives 180gr about 3000fps. Cases are always in stock. Really the only thing that is wrong with the 7mm lrm is the brass! It only last 3-4 firing before the pockets are done. The case necks from the 2 lots that I got varied from .014-.017. I'm not a fan of hornady brass. wished Norma made there cases then for me it would be near perfect (for me anyway)

I have both a LRM and a 6.5saum. I wish Hornady could fix their LRM cases like they have responded to GAP's recommendations to fix the saum.
I have about 50 pieces of Lrm that already have loose pockets after the second loading of 71.5 grains. My LRM is accurate but I am not happy with the velocity vs advertised by Gunwerks and certainly not the Hornady junk brass. My rifle was built about a month too early or it would be a 28 nosler in 1:8 twist.

I have a 7mm lrm and think it's a great case design. I like that it gives 180gr about 3000fps. Cases are always in stock. Really the only thing that is wrong with the 7mm lrm is the brass! It only last 3-4 firing before the pockets are done. The case necks from the 2 lots that I got varied from .014-.017. I'm not a fan of hornady brass. wished Norma made there cases then for me it would be near perfect (for me anyway)

My 7WSM will get 3,000 ft/sec with a 180gr and the Win cases easily go 8 reloads. I would expect the LRM to have greater velocity potential.

Can someone explain how to make 7mm lrm from 375 ruger?

I've looked around before and have been able to find a step by step guide. Just people saying it can be done.

I suspect it's simply an issue of pushing the shoulder back at the correct angle and necking down. The people I've read doing it recommend doing it in steps to reduce runout and annealing before and after.

That you are limited to ONE source of brass.
That your rifle may not like that brass.
That the brass may become unavailable.
That YOU may not like the brass.
That a 7 SAUM, 7SS, 7RM, 280AI, 7WSM, 284 will pretty well match or pass it AMONG OTHERS.
That a 7mm is a great caliber but why build it on a case with such limited availability.
Any SUPPOSED superiority pales in comparison to these things IMHO.
My 7 SAUM is running harder than many LRM guns and it's a LOT shorter, more efficient and while brass availability for the SAUM SUCKS it's still a better situation than the LRM.

Rifle not liking brass? That's a new one... I can guarantee that YOU wont like it though. All mine required neck turning for consistency in tension. They used to have issues with weight variance, but they now sort it to something like +/- 1 gr. I have heard some having issues with brass life, but I can't comment on that as of yet. Would it be nice if some other mfr would make consistent brass? Oh yeah. Would neck turning one time over the whole life of a case turn me off of a great cartridge? No way.

Single source isn't really an issue for availability. I can call Gunwerks or Primal Rights at any time and order many thousands of cases. That, to me, is better availability than almost any cartridge.

Any brass could become unavailable at some point. If you are that worried about it, buy a bunch of cases up front.

I've got a 7LRM build in the works. I'll share some of my decision process.

I knew I wanted a 7mm to sling heavy bullets way out there. Specifically the 180 Berger at around 3100 FPS, but I also wanted to be able to play with the 195 as well.
I reload. So no restrictions on cartridge based on availability of factory loads. Because OP is asking about the case I'm going to ASSume you do as well.

Then I looked at case capacity as a measure for power. And because I didn't want to deal with belts, I discarded those, which rules out the RM, WBY and STW.

This is from another thread here about two years back. I think this is mudrunners list
7mm BR
7-08 Remington
284 Winchester
280 Remington
280 Ackley Improved
7mm RSAUM
7mm WSM
7mm Rem Mag
7mm Weatherby

7mm LRM
7mm STW
28-Nosler
7mm RUM

Then I examined the remaining options. According to my reloading books and what I could find online the RSAUM and WSM were pushing 175 LRAB around 2800fps at a maximum, which is respectable, but because I wanted to shoot 180's and 195's they would be just slightly anemic. If you look online you'll find people pushing them harder but, I don't really care to do that with my reloads.

This left me the Nosler, the LRM and the RUM.

The rifle is intended to be a backpack hunting rifle, so I wanted to keep the weight down. Not that any cartridge remaining would kick any less, but shooting a RUM out of a ten pound rifle doesn't sound fun. Call me a wimp if you want. Also I've heard less than positive things about component life in RUMs

So now I'm left with LRM and Nosler. I went with the LRM because of what I perceive to be the better case design and the reported efficiency of the chambering.

Thats just my opinion. Good luck

I had a similar process of elimination. Nothing with a belt, to start.

280AI and smaller doesn't have the horsepower for the heavies, feeding issues, brass availability, and slower speeds deterred me from the SAUM (for a hunting rig), barrel life is an issue with the 28 Nos and bigger (as well as the WSM due to short neck).

The LRM seems to be the best of all worlds, as long as the barrel life turns out to be what I expect (1200 rds...will be tickled if I can get 1500 out of it). I was originally wanting to build a 28 Nosler, but the anticipated barrel life of 6-800 rounds I found unacceptable for me. Perhaps running 195s or some other heavy bullet would extend that some, but who knows.

I my self looked hard at the 7 lrm, but final decided on a 7 mm Blaser, both give the same ballistic as the 7x61, and I used the same S&L M65. My purpose was to duplicate the 7x61 but without the belt.
The bolt face needed to be enlarged for the Blaser cartridge, which I do not think is necessary for the Gunwerks 7 lrm. Cases are more expensive, "cost of exotic" but the Blaser brass from Norma is a strong one, I do not know about the lrm brass from Hornady, but do have good results with other Hornady brass.

That also seems like a great cartridge, from what I have read. Did you consider the Dakota? I would have went that route if I were to want to mess with the bolt face. Brass cost kept me from it as well, but I was under the impression that the LRM was still like 1.30/ea...but when I went to order the price was around 2 bucks. Talk about a price hike!

Rifle not liking brass? That's a new one... I can guarantee that YOU wont like it though. All mine required neck turning for consistency in tension. They used to have issues with weight variance, but they now sort it to something like +/- 1 gr. I have heard some having issues with brass life, but I can't comment on that as of yet. Would it be nice if some other mfr would make consistent brass? Oh yeah. Would neck turning one time over the whole life of a case turn me off of a great cartridge? No way.

Single source isn't really an issue for availability. I can call Gunwerks or Primal Rights at any time and order many thousands of cases. That, to me, is better availability than almost any cartridge.

Any brass could become unavailable at some point. If you are that worried about it, buy a bunch of cases up front.

I had a similar process of elimination. Nothing with a belt, to start.

280AI and smaller doesn't have the horsepower for the heavies, feeding issues, brass availability, and slower speeds deterred me from the SAUM (for a hunting rig), barrel life is an issue with the 28 Nos and bigger (as well as the WSM due to short neck).

The LRM seems to be the best of all worlds, as long as the barrel life turns out to be what I expect (1200 rds...will be tickled if I can get 1500 out of it). I was originally wanting to build a 28 Nosler, but the anticipated barrel life of 6-800 rounds I found unacceptable for me. Perhaps running 195s or some other heavy bullet would extend that some, but who knows.

That also seems like a great cartridge, from what I have read. Did you consider the Dakota? I would have went that route if I were to want to mess with the bolt face. Brass cost kept me from it as well, but I was under the impression that the LRM was still like 1.30/ea...but when I went to order the price was around 2 bucks. Talk about a price hike!
There's nothing wrong with belted cases, that is a myth created to sell new non-belted magnums.

Barrel life really isn't an issue until you get up to the 7mm Rum. Just don't shoot them hot and keep shooting and you can get enough life out of the STW, Weatherby, Nosler and similar large case 7mm's that most people will never shoot one out. My first STW is 25 years old, approaching 1200rds and I figured it was nearing the end of it's accurate life so I sent it to a friend who's a very competent gunsmith and engineer who bore scoped it and said it was no where near being shot out.

That rifle was my "truck gun" for two decades, was shot regularly even at varmints and predators year round, rarely (maybe annually) cleaned and will still shoot MOA or better with just about anything I feed it.

If you abuse any of the high velocity magnums you'll burn the throat out but if you take reasonably good care of them most can last you for many, many years.

There's nothing wrong with belted cases, that is a myth created to sell new non-belted magnums.

Barrel life really isn't an issue until you get up to the 7mm Rum. Just don't shoot them hot and keep shooting and you can get enough life out of the STW, Weatherby, Nosler and similar large case 7mm's that most people will never shoot one out. My first STW is 25 years old, approaching 1200rds and I figured it was nearing the end of it's accurate life so I sent it to a friend who's a very competent gunsmith and engineer who bore scoped it and said it was no where near being shot out.

That rifle was my "truck gun" for two decades, was shot regularly even at varmints and predators year round, rarely (maybe annually) cleaned and will still shoot MOA or better with just about anything I feed it.

If you abuse any of the high velocity magnums you'll burn the throat out but if you take reasonably good care of them most can last you for many, many years.

+1 I couldn't figure out a way to tackle that much disinformation in 1 post without starting a ******* match. And I didn't want to deal with that crap right now.

Don't forget all the false-narratives about the .280 AI just to self-justify why he went with a magnum. A .280 AI can hunk a 180 Hybrid at 2,900+. And a .30-06 AI can chunk a 185 at 2,900+. Far from slouches, if you ask me. And I own a bunch of magnum caliber rifles, too. But these days the magnum-craze has taken hold, and the interwebz are full of false information to push that new "non-belted magnum is better" narrative, and it becomes very hard to prove to people things they've never experienced first-hand.

That was a hell of a first post... :rolleyes:

I'm drinking tonight.gun)

Being the weekend, I normally would be, but I'm a bit under the weather the last few days, so saving that up for tomorrow (Nat'l Championship), so tonight my "ahhh, screw it" filter is in place. Where I don't feel like stressing myself or my brain right now. I'll deal with it when I feel better.

All valid points. The belt thing is personal preference. I know you can headspace as normal and basically ignore it, but to me, it is an outdated design point, there really is no benefit to it and there are more interesting cartridges out there. Honestly, I could have made life easier and gone with the 7RM or STW and be done with it. I'm not saying that they are bad, I just don't want to worry about it. Call it ignorance if you'd like, but with so many good choices out there, one has to find a way to narrow it down.

I'm sure most of the barrel life issues are from guys that like to hot rod them or otherwise abuse them, which leads to reports of low barrel life spreading. It happens. But it is well known that "overbore" cartridges have lower barrel life as they aren't efficient. I wanted to strike a balance, so...different strokes, I guess. A barrel is a big investment for me and I wanted to make it count while achieving my goals.

I'm glad you are getting good life out of your STW. That gives me hope for the LRM. They seem to be similar enough performance wise that a barrel life comparison would be relevant.

+1 I couldn't figure out a way to tackle that much disinformation in 1 post without starting a ******* match. And I didn't want to deal with that crap right now.

Don't forget all the false-narratives about the .280 AI just to self-justify why he went with a magnum. A .280 AI can hunk a 180 Hybrid at 2,900+. And a .30-06 AI can chunk a 185 at 2,900+. Far from slouches, if you ask me. And I own a bunch of magnum caliber rifles, too. But these days the magnum-craze has taken hold, and the interwebz are full of false information to push that new "non-belted magnum is better" narrative, and it becomes very hard to prove to people things they've never experienced first-hand.

That was a hell of a first post... :rolleyes:

Man, I didn't mean to get anyone wound up. No p!$$!ng match required and no need to prove anything. I'm not here to perpetuate false narratives and argue...I was simply sharing my perspective, respectfully (or so I thought). One cannot be an expert in all things and when building a rifle, I only know what I have read and can be picky about certain aspects.

I think the 280AI is a great cartridge and doesn't give up a whole lot to any smaller magnums. Again, balancing barrel life and performance was my goal. Others may have different goals. If this were mostly a plinking barrel, the 280AI would have been my pick hands down, but since I have a switch barrel, I didn't need to compromise that much. It may not be a huge difference, but I'll take 195s at 2900 and 180s at 3000-3100 over 180s at 2900 all day.

That being said, once can never have too many rifles and I wouldn't kick any of the aforementioned out of the safe! Good luck and feel better.

Being the weekend, I normally would be, but I'm a bit under the weather the last few days, so saving that up for tomorrow (Nat'l Championship), so tonight my "ahhh, screw it" filter is in place. Where I don't feel like stressing myself or my brain right now. I'll deal with it when I feel better.

The last couple of years I find my self not engaging in a lot of debates. I think it's a waist of time debating cartridge choice, rifle brand choice and similar type of debates the seem to fire up on some threads.
People are going to have their opinions and I have mine. So screw it, I'm not going to convince anybody that doesn't want to be...
I'll engage on some ballistic threads, I like to talk about Optics, and I'll ask some questions when I feel like it could spark a multiple page conversation... But yea, I see where a "ahh screw it filter" is used a lot with me lately as well..

I left 8 gun groups on Facebook this past week because of the repetitive debates, and questions... I'm getting to old to argue why I anneal and some one telling me I'm waiting my time. Or my 30-06 won't shoot to 1000 yards because the 6.5 Creedmoor is only capable of 1000 yard shooting... lightbulb