7mm LRM vs the 28 Nosler ballistics

Coyotefool

I am looking to get a new rifle built I know the 28 Nosler and the 7mm LRM. are both fairly new rounds with little information on the 28 available yet. Is their anyone that can compare the advantages of one over the other yet? I will be reloading my rounds. Any help is apreaciated.
thanks
======================================================
PUBLISHER'S NOTE:

To read my take on the 28 Nosler CLICK HERE.

Len Backus

Last edited by a moderator:
The 28 Nosler is larger than the 7mm LRM. You can decide if that is an advantage for your application.

Once the dust settles, I would expect the availability of reloading dies and brass to be better for the 28 Nosler.

I expect you would get better product support on the 7mm LRM.

If you are considering making a rifle into one of these chamberings: the 7 LRM won't require feed rail alterations, the 28 Nosler will unless you start with a rifle that was a RUM.

28 Nosler's performance will be between the 7 STW and the 7 RUM while the 7 LRM's will be between the 7 Rem mag and the 7 STW.

7 LRM uses Hornady and 28 Nosler uses Nosler brass. I have heard that some of the Nosler brass is made by Norma but don't know for sure.

If I were considering one or the other, I would wait to hear reports on the 28 Nosler before making a move.

If you are considering making a rifle into one of these chamberings: the 7 LRM won't require feed rail alterations, the 28 Nosler will unless you start with a rifle that was a RUM.

28 Nosler's performance will be between the 7 STW and the 7 RUM while the 7 LRM's will be between the 7 Rem mag and the 7 STW.

7 LRM uses Hornady and 28 Nosler uses Nosler brass. I have heard that some of the Nosler brass is made by Norma but don't know for sure.

If I were considering one or the other, I would wait to hear reports on the 28 Nosler before making a move.
Dude, I know you love your STW but...

The "power" aka velocity order is more like:
7mm BR
7-08 Remington
280 Remington
7mm Rem Mag
284 Winchester
7mm RSAUM
7mm WSM
7mm Weatherby
7mm STW
28-Nosler
7mm RUM

Nit picking but the Nosler has 5-6 grains more capacity than the STW and the RUM has 8-10 more than the Nosler.

The STW is quite capable of doing everything the Nosler can do etc... Except fit in the magazine when seating long high BC bullets optimally.

Hi Fred,

I don't have a STW. Only had one briefly over 10 yrs ago.

I agree with your assessment of power/velocity except the 7 Rem mag. I think it should be just below the 7 Weatherby.

You didn't mention the 7 LRM. IMO it should be between the 7 Weatherby and the 7 STW.

Ross

Hi Fred,

I don't have a STW. Only had one briefly over 10 yrs ago.

I agree with your assessment of power/velocity except the 7 Rem mag. I think it should be just below the 7 Weatherby.

You didn't mention the 7 LRM. IMO it should be between the 7 Weatherby and the 7 STW.

Ross
Sorry, yes. There is where the LRM goes.

Dude, I know you love your STW but...

The "power" aka velocity order is more like:
7mm BR
7-08 Remington
280 Remington
7mm Rem Mag
284 Winchester
7mm RSAUM
7mm WSM
7mm Weatherby
7mm STW
28-Nosler
7mm RUM

Nit picking but the Nosler has 5-6 grains more capacity than the STW and the RUM has 8-10 more than the Nosler.

The STW is quite capable of doing everything the Nosler can do etc... Except fit in the magazine when seating long high BC bullets optimally.

I would say your 284 W is definitely in the wrong place! It is equal to, or slightly below, the 280 Rem...........Rich

I still find it very hard to believe that the 28N has greater
powder capacity than the 7stw.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.