7mm LRM Questions?

redneckclimbing

I have a a 7mm wildcat built on a SA 700 right now with only about 200 rounds down the tube. It is an honest 1/4 MOA rifle.

I am intrigued by the possibility of another 200 fps with the LRM. The barrel could easily be re-chambered to it without even setting back the shoulder. I also just bought a McCree Precision LA 700 that is just begging me to put a gun in it and the 338 Norma that will someday go in it is on hold for now.

All this coupled with the fact that I just accidentally bought the dies for it (long story), have me really thinking about the LRM.

I don't want to give up alot of accuracy but a honest 1/2 MOA gun would be fine. Does anyone have one and how well does it shoot?

Only really plan on 2980-3040 fps that is what a lot are getting with the 180 & h1000. Also don't think will work on a short action.

I have a 7mm LRM from Gunwerks and it is running the 180 grain Berger Hybrid out of the tube at 2998 FPS. That is with 72 Grains of H-1000. I have not tried to boost it up any because it shoots 1/2 inch MOA all day long and that is what really counts for me. I have seen the advertisement of 3100 FPS but have not seen that type of performance on the two rifles that I have shot. I too believe that Hunt Farther is correct in stating that the 7MM LRM will not work on a short action rifle.

re read his OP. He has a LA reciever ready to go. I would say go for it. I am planning on having superior precision build me one. I have always loved this caliber.

Well, I cast the chamber on the wildcat yesterday and there is a little more run-out than I want. (First time running the lathe) So, this has pretty much finalized my decision, I'm going for it!

What barrel lengths are you guys running to get those velocities? This one should finish out at 28" or so. I have some Hodgon 4831 around and a friend has an 8# of Retumbo so any load info with those would be great.

Thanks a bunch.

My Gunwerks LR-1000 rifle only has a 25.5' barrel to get the 2998 FPS velocity with 72 grains of H-1000. Unfortunately that is all I have used in it because that particular load shoot fantastic. Good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out.

Well, I cast the chamber on the wildcat yesterday and there is a little more run-out than I want. (First time running the lathe) So, this has pretty much finalized my decision, I'm going for it!

What barrel lengths are you guys running to get those velocities? This one should finish out at 28" or so. I have some Hodgon 4831 around and a friend has an 8# of Retumbo so any load info with those would be great.

Thanks a bunch.

Well, any updates on your new baby?

RGJZ06

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.