7mm LRM bullet selection

bigshow

Hello to all! I live in a small town in southern middle tennessee. I do mainly deer and feral hog hunting. I am looking at getting a 7mm LRM made and looking at dead down range to make the make. The make/model of the gun is a Rem Hunter Extreme System. It comes with a g7 nightforce scope and a few more attachments. I have read allot of shooters shooting 180gr. Berger for the mention caliber but I'm not big on heavy bullets or to much on to long of a range. I shoot mostly wooded areas, pipelines and cut overs. So shots range from 25yds-800yds. I have been looking at the nosler accused long range 168gr as well as the 168gr berger and the matrix bullet. Granted the gun is a little to much inside a 100yds but a good clean neck shot won't bother me. But I'm really leaning toward the 168gr nosler a cub on long range. Any thoughts would be very much thankful. I am already mine set on this cartridge lol. I do go to Alaska caribou hunting every other year with a friend on a self guided caribou hunts. Again thank you all in advance and good shooting.

The main reason folks choose a big 7 is to take advantage of the case capacity to shoot the heavier high BC bullets. Otherwise a 280 or 7RM (or similar) is normally used with 140-168 class bullets.

Otherwise, I would recommend the 160 Accubond as it has a respectable BE, while performing at shorter ranges.

I've got a 7mm rem and a 280 both was my grandfather's passed down to me when he passed away. I've hunted with them for 10 years now. A friend of mine has a 7mm Dakota and he shoots168gr berger hybrid or the 180gr hybrid one of the two. I took it on a oryx hunt back in March and he was drt at 503yds. I've never been big on heavy bullets probably my grandpas ways just rubbing off on me. Which would be better the 180gr berger hybrid or 180gr berger hunting vld. That was my longest shot and I got hooked.

There isn't much difference weight-wise in a 168 versus 180. However, the Ballistic Coefficient (BC) between the two is substantial. The reason you shoot the heavier, high BC bullets is that they fly flatter and are affected by wind a lot less the farther you get out. So if you are hoping to be shooting out to 800 yards, the extra weight will help. The 180 Hybrid would probably be the best choice in your situtation if you go with Berger. The 175 Accubond Long Range or 160 Accubond are other options, but again, won't have the benefits the 180 has.

I've been talking to a gentleman and I'm gonna go with the 168gr berger vld hunting bullets. Now that him and have been talking I'm now tore between the 7LRM and the 7mm-.300win.....lol... I am gonna go with a 28" Broughton barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.