7MM Loads

bohe

I just started shooting my Remington 700 Boone & Crockett 7 Rem. Mag.(9 1/4 twist).I had planned on re-chambering it to 7STW,but I think I will shoot it for awhile like this and see how it works.I picked up some Sierra 160 HPBTs today.I'm wondering if any body has any good loads for starters.
Thanks

for varmints 120gr v-max rl-22 it shoots great out of my rem 700 for big game 140 or 160gr nosler partition i use rl-22 and imr 4350 i haven't use the bullet you have
icon5.gif

When I reload my Ruger Mark II in 7mm Rem mag..With 160 grain bullets I have found that either H1000 or RL-22 works great. My gun has a long throat so I hesitate to tell you the loads that I use. Get on Alliant web site and go to 7mm Rem Mag. they will give you loads for different bullet weights using RL-19,22, and 25. I love the RL-22 when I am shooting 160 grain bullets. I have an elk load that consists of 160 Barnes TSX , RL-22, RP cases, and WLRM primers. It will shoot .5 group any time you want. the velocity of this load is just under 3000 ft/sec..

When I am shooting for fun I love the 140 Nosler Bt and either IMR-4831 or IMR-4350. I use a starting load of IMR-4831 (62.0 grains)which in my gun only produces about 2900 ft/sec. This load is very accurate and is very easy on the shooter.

I have been shooting 7mm mag for 35 years. It is a wonderful caliber. My suggestions for starting loads is to go to: Sierra Bullets - The Bulletsmiths and start with their suggested starting loads and work up from there. 4831 is perhaps the most versatile powder I have used in the 7mm, but I have found myself loading H870, H414, IMR 4350, RL22 etc. You will find differences in IMR 4831 and H4831.

You will find Alliant's RL22 recipe at www.alliantbullets.com, but I suggest you back off at least 3 grains for a starting load and work up from there.

I also shoot a .280 Rem and find that I see pressure signs about 2.5 grains back of max loads from most manuals in that particular weapon.

I also shoot a .280 Rem and find that I see pressure signs about 2.5 grains back of max loads from most manuals in that particular weapon.

Since all .280 data is at or under 60Kpsi, and it's safe to load it to .270 pressures of 65K psi, I find that hard to believe unless you have a very tight tolerance custom bbl. I have seen a custom .280 that wouldn't take max loads. I consistently run 2-6 grains over book max powder charges in the .280Rem, and with my velocity, Quickload still says I'm hovering around 62K-63K psi. I'm running 139s/140s 3080-3150fps, and 150s/154s 2980-3015fps in a 24" Rem 700.

What are your velocities? Afterall, that's what counts when it comes to pressure, not the on paper max powder charge.

To answer the original question. R-22 is the cat's meow for me and most in the 7mm. 66grs and a 160 Accubond run 3080 in my 25.6" bbl, and get under 3/4".

I'm shooting a Ruger #1- no custom barrel. Primers are flat at 2 gr under max load for most bullet weights. Have never chronographed any loads so I can't tell you velocity. I guess maybe its time I purchased a chronograph. Weapon shoots MOA with several bullet weights- even with me shooting it.

I'm shooting a Ruger #1- no custom barrel. Primers are flat at 2 gr under max load for most bullet weights. Have never chronographed any loads so I can't tell you velocity. I guess maybe its time I purchased a chronograph. Weapon shoots MOA with several bullet weights- even with me shooting it.

Primers differ. Some are harder than others. It's not a reliable pressure sign. Many factory loads exhibit flattening of primers. If you reload and don't own a chrony, then you're just guessing. Velocity, not your powder charge will tell you about pressures. Look at .280 data in the Nosler manual. They use a 26" bbl. If yours is shorter, then subtract roughly 30fps per inch. If you got a 24" bbl, then just say you'll lose 60-75fps. Nosler loads to 60K psi...their velocities are doable, but you may require more powder for the same velocity as powder lots differ, sometimes greatly. Loading to Noslers velocity is very safe as theirs is done at or below 60K psi. Their load velocity is beatable if you want to load to 65K psi. I try to keep mine in the 62K-63K range, and the velocities I posted above, Quickload says I'm right in that range.

Spend $99 and get a shooting Chrony. It's an invaluable tool for a handloader. I think you'll find that you're well under factory ammo performance in velocity. And yes, accuracy can come just as easy at a real max load as under it.

I'll also note, that the velocities I get are with slow powders like R-19, R-22, H4831, N160, and N165. You wont get the same velocity safely if you're using 4350s or faster powders.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.