7mm Hunting Bullets - a little advice please

The theory of a fragmenting bullet being a good hunting bullet is flawed.

The minimum requirement of a good hunting bullet has got to be a good solid blood trail if something goes wrong with the shot, and a bullet that is designed to fragment has virtually no chance of giving you that.

+1 on the Accubond.

I tend to think that the minimum requirement for a good hunting bullet is that it quickly kills the game. A good blood trail is not nearly as ideal as a DRT animal. I myself have never had an animal run more than a few yards when hit with a Berger.

So there have been some reports of Berger bullet failures, go look for them and you will find there has never been a bullet made that never had a failure of some kind.

I tend to think that the minimum requirement for a good hunting bullet is that it quickly kills the game. A good blood trail is not nearly as ideal as a DRT animal. I myself have never had an animal run more than a few yards when hit with a Berger.

So there have been some reports of Berger bullet failures, go look for them and you will find there has never been a bullet made that never had a failure of some kind.

I agree, but I haven't saw that with bergers, I'm not talking large bodied deer either, I'm talking mature bucks that weigh in at 125#, and the bullet doesn't make it inside the chest cavity, how can you have a DRT shot if all your getting is splash wounds?
These bullets are supposed to penetrate 4" then quikly expand, but as you can see the one in the pic I posted never made it 2" total, and the 2 approaching 500 yards were no better even after shedding 300 yards worth of velocity.
I have taken 29 deer with the accubond from 300 yards to over 1300, of those 4 have taken a step after impact.
I've had 4 hits with the berger and none have been DRT, nor even close.
RR

I tend to think that the minimum requirement for a good hunting bullet is that it quickly kills the game.

Agreed.

A good blood trail is not nearly as ideal as a DRT animal. I myself have never had an animal run more than a few yards when hit with a Berger.

You obviously didn't read the "... good solid blood trail if something goes wrong with the shot ..."

Agreed about DRT. Dead is dead right ....

But if the shot is bad (and I know very few people that have not had a bad shot at game for one reason or another ... including unexpected bullet failure), then with bullets that don't create a good blood trail you've got very little to work with .... that was my point.

I am not hammering the Bergers .... there are many bullets with the same high velocity terminal ballistics performance, and when they hit the right area, they are devastating, the shrapnel effect is nothing short of sublime .... but if you fire a bad shot or something happens at the moment that you fire the shot, and the bullet miss the vitals .... you're left with very little to work with.

Agreed .... but personally I would still prefer a bullets that will create an exit wound if it was to fail.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts