7mm Dakota ?

338 LEGEND

I have a 700 mag action with a pt&g .704 dia mag bolt, thinking about putting a 7mm togather. what about the 7mm Dakota? Anyone using one of these with big bullets? and how fast can you push them. Wanting to build somthing for 1200 yard big game hunting that will work on a mag bolt and has good brass avalable. ????

i've got a 7mm Dakota barrel, loaded brass and recoil lug for sale.
I'll take 175.00 shipped to your door. 26" SS Remington countour.
42 loaded bullets with 3 different loads . From what the told me I bought
the rifle from, it's a shooting stick. Said he shot an antelope over 300 yd and dropped in its tracks.
Tony

i've got a 7mm Dakota barrel, loaded brass and recoil lug for sale.
I'll take 175.00 shipped to your door. 26" SS Remington countour.
42 loaded bullets with 3 different loads . From what the told me I bought
the rifle from, it's a shooting stick. Said he shot an antelope over 300 yd and dropped in its tracks.
Tony

is it a remington barrel rechamberd?
dont think the barrel will work for me, i have trued the action and threads woud be loose.

Last edited:
Yes.And it was rechambered by Randy Shelby of Randy's custom guns in WY.
My action has been trued and it fits fine for me.
Has you threads been recut oversized? If not it will work.
Tony

Yes.And it was rechambered by Randy Shelby of Randy's custom guns in WY.
My action has been trued and it fits fine for me.
Has you threads been recut oversized? If not it will work.
Tony

oversized, what would you want for the brass?

I have a 700 mag action with a pt&g .704 dia mag bolt, thinking about putting a 7mm togather. what about the 7mm Dakota? Anyone using one of these with big bullets? and how fast can you push them. Wanting to build somthing for 1200 yard big game hunting that will work on a mag bolt and has good brass avalable. ????

Howdy Legend,

I think the Dakota cartridge is an awesome one but it is a very proprietary one. Brass and dies are real spendy. You can probably expect another 200 fps out of it than the 7 RM and about the same as the STW. Something else you might think about is the 7-375 Ruger which is one I've been considering off and on for a while. The 375 Ruger is a little narrower and longer than the Dakota case and about the same capacity so it will give you about the performance. The brass is good brass made by Hornady and less than $1 ea. Dakota brass is about $1.65 ea (100 or more lots) made also by Hornady or Norma. With a Redding 375 bushing die and the 7mm bushings you can do the down necking and sizing. You would need a custom seater, but the would be easy for Redding using the 375 Ruger sleve and the 7mm seater.

Both the Dakota and 375 Ruger cases are basic and simple works - no belts. The 375 will fit the standard mag bolt face but the face for the Dakota may have to be opened up slightly. The STW does have the belt and is the same legnth as the RUM case which means possible seating depth issues and loading the magazine.

My choice would be the 7-375 Ruger. Good, available brass for a reasonable price. Dies fairly easy to get. Fits the mag bolt face. And is one good performer. A 1K 7mm cartridge for sure. Expect 3200 3250 fps with a 160 bullet out of a 26" barrel and 3000-3050 with a 180 bullet. RL17 might get you a little more in that case.

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd375ruger.jpg

Good shooting,

Mark

Last edited:
Thats a great idea, Has anyone do this? will the brass handle the same presures? I can build a seating die but would wont a body die too, also would look to put this in a 28" to 30" barrel to drain all the velocity i can.

That is what this was and the guy went to the 7mm dakota.
he really like the cartridge but didnt have time for the gun and
hadnt hunted for a few years.
I've got the brass, loads and barrel. I will ship to your door
for 175.00
Dies are @ Midway

Thats a great idea, Has anyone do this? will the brass handle the same presures? I can build a seating die but would wont a body die too, also would look to put this in a 28" to 30" barrel to drain all the velocity i can.

We were discussing the possibilities of this cartridge. One improvement I would make in the .375 Ruger brass would change the shoulder angle from 30 degrees to 40 degrees. I think this would be a very potent cartridge for long range work. It would be interesting. I wish I had the funds to do the project.

Tank

We were discussing the possibilities of this cartridge. One improvement I would make in the .375 Ruger brass would change the shoulder angle from 30 degrees to 40 degrees. I think this would be a very potent cartridge for long range work. It would be interesting. I wish I had the funds to do the project.

Tank

You could sharpen the shoulder a little and get a little more out of it, but then you are talking all wildcat custom dies now and then there's the fire forming. I'm not sure the little bit of gain would be worth it. The case walls are already fairly straight, so nothing to be gained there. If it were me, I would just neck down the 375 brass and call it good.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts