7mm cartridges

What kind of velocities are you achieving?
I am running a light load of H1000 @ 2843 but can get another 100fps conpressed. If you go to double based powders like N565 or RL26 you can run 180's a bit over 3000. Obviously bullet design factors in...180Bergers are faster than 180eldm's.

For me the weight saving of a carbon fiber barrel came at such a cost barrel life is important to me. H1000 gets me single digit ES without a lot of effort. The extra 10–200fps wasn't worth it on a ballistic chart to push my barrel hard but it is for many who seek the max speed.

The 7SS is best for a short action. The 7Max is designed for a medium action and the 28Sherman Magnum is designed for a long action.

Here is a link to reloading dara for Sherman cartridges.

And a thread for the 7SS

Budget plays a major factor. No doubt there are off the shelf rifles that will perform admirable and then there are those premium builds that will get you that "extra" you may be looking for. We would all like to achieve that little jagged hole but if its long range hunting your striving for you should save quite a few dollars settling for can extra .5 MOA in a hunting setting. Naturally, bullet placement is on person load developing and squeezing trigger. Enjoy the process!

The Lazzeroni 7.21 Firebird is the flattest shooting commercial cartridge. I have picked up a couple in Sako TRG-S. 110 gr of powder sends them out pretty fast.

I'm a basic kind of guy. I shoot a semi-custom 7 Rem Mag with handloads. 175 accubond longrange around 3000 at 1200 ASL. This combo shoots better than my abilities. Although we had this rifle built for deer and elk, I went with a 300 RUM for elk. My first rifle was a 7mm-08 and it has dropped several elk and unknown amount of deer. When I finally stepped up and started hunting and shooting with a quality rangefinder, I went with heavy for caliber bullets. I truly think that made a big difference in stopping power. The 28 Nosler perks my interest and my gunsmith wouldn't have a problem with me burning a barrel faster. If for some reason you had an ammo issue, 7 Rem Mag is pretty much everywhere. If you can't find a box of core-lokts in 175 at your local stores, I don't know what to tell you. Good luck with your quest. So many choices out there, I seriously doubt you can go wrong in this caliber class.

If you wanna keep it simple, deadly and inexpensive and slick just grab a tikka t3x in 7 mag and put a nightforce nx8 2.5-20x50 F1. Find your load, practice ,practice , practice and then go make elk get dead.

Could someone maybe delve into the efficiency of the different 7's? What I mean by that is the 28 Nosler is the king of speed in a 7 but it's also burning 80+ grains of powder.

I've been looking at the 7 SAUM/7 Max in a long action to shoot 180+ type bullets to be shot in the realm of 2900+.

Obviously the 28 Nosler can accomplish that but you're also burning an extra 20gr of powder.
For my 28 I'm using 77.5 grains of H1000 Berger 180 hybrid at 3125. Very accurate

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.