7mm cartridges

I'm a 7mm fan and for your ranges the 7mm Rem Mag would be my choice. 280AI is a great option but the 7mm Rem Mag reaches further. A 28 Nosler does that also but it is a barrel burner.

The 7mm Rem Mag would be my choice, tons of brass options vs other cartridges and no fire forming needed. Tons of ammo options also available. You can get a lightweight one built and with a brake.

Stay safe

If you want to shoot the long heavy bullets, you may want to reconsider, or at least research the Nosler rifles. I believe they have a pretty short magazine, and a 28 Nosler with say a 180 or 195 is going to need a pretty long magazine. This is just what I have heard, I have no personal experience, so just something to look in to.

As far as a 7mm cartridge for out to 700 on elk, I would look at something around a 7 mag or a little more. Accuracy has very little to do with the cartridge, though some cartridges lend themselves to easier load development, however any cartridge build by an expert gunsmith will likely shoot better than the operator. Look for something that gives you the performance you want. a 7 WSM built on a medium action and throated for your intended bullet will give stellar performance, as would a 7 Sherman Max built on the same action. the old standby 7 rem mag has fantastic brass available now, has very well known loads, and would be adequate. a 28 nosler is an awesome hunting cartridge, with the drawback being barrel life, though in a hunting rig, it may not be a concern.

.280AI or 7SAUM (7SS/7SST also)
Ballistic twins in two very different packages.
fd29a3d02e25f399f450ebb2085d672d.jpg

Looking to get a long range rifle in 7mm caliber. Something less than 10 pounds with scope.
What 7mm cartridge is most accurate to 1000 yards? I most likely will hunting less than 700 yards.
Easy 7-08. Ammo easy to find bullets in the 140 -168 grain mark. 140 grain will handle everything is North America. If need be could use in Africa minuses the big 5. I load my dads 7-08 with 140 grain Berger VLDs 2990 FPS over 1000 lbs of kinetic energy at 700 yards. You could load up some 168 grain and get around 2800 FPS and have just over 1200 lbs of kinetic energy. This is all with a 24" barrel. If you drop down to a 20" barrel you will save some weight, but you will give up around 100 FPS.

No way I'd be packing a 12lb rifle when limiting myself for 600 yards.
I had to LOL, I'm 58 & pretty broken up body from head to toe. I can only have ML's for the last 18yrs. I bench shoot out to the 400yds I have set up here & hunt with the same ML. Its a CVA Paramount .45 with a Viper PST gen2 5-25x50 IRMOA with DNZ Game Reaper 1pc mounts/rings. I had to put a muzzle brake on it due to the recoil of 105gr BH209 W & a 275 Fury ST2P bullet at just under 2500fps so I went titanium 5 port Beast Brake -3oz. The gun weighs 12lb. It sucks havin that on my back & draggin a deer a long way out or havin my Summit Viper climber on my back, a 12 lb ML & my waste pack full. Not in any shape to do that craziness any longer. In my younger days when I was cock strong countryboy this wouldn't be an issue in the least bit.

28 nosler if you want new and beltless, 7 stw if you want classic with extra bang and 7 rem mag or weatherby for old school classics. All are very capable long range cartridges. As you see all the 7mm mag cartridges will get you accurate long range capabilities. my Next 7 will be a 28 Nosler because I just want the new. I have the classics.

Looking to get a long range rifle in 7mm caliber. Something less than 10 pounds with scope.
What 7mm cartridge is most accurate to 1000 yards? I most likely will hunting less than 700 yards.
I agree with FlyGuy11. I'm also a 7mm loyalist. I hunt in the southeast so I shoot a 7mm-08 when I don't need the distance or power that my 280AI will provide. Great loads for hunting via hand loading. Plenty of variations in bullet weight. Tikka and Bergara are excellent production rifles that shoot well and are very reasonable. Plenty of factory ammo available for '08 but limited on AI. 7mag has plenty of factory ammo available off shelf. Good luck! Enjoy the process

Could someone maybe delve into the efficiency of the different 7's? What I mean by that is the 28 Nosler is the king of speed in a 7 but it's also burning 80+ grains of powder.

I've been looking at the 7 SAUM/7 Max in a long action to shoot 180+ type bullets to be shot in the realm of 2900+.

Obviously the 28 Nosler can accomplish that but you're also burning an extra 20gr of powder.

I have 2 7mmRM. Love them both. A Rem Sendero that I have lugged around for about 5 years. Shoots lights out, but tired of taking it for 10 miles walks. The other is new this year Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon. They are both great, but the Browning has a New BX-5hd that I am really liking with the firedot reticle. .
The Xbolt is really light. I was able to adjust the factory trigger down to 2.9 lbs which is perfect for hunting.

I got lucky that the same load I use in the Sendero also works in the X bolt and is very accurate. I am shooting 1.75"geouos at 200 yards. The gun is probably more accurate than that, but I haven't figured out how to shoot the lightweight gun yet. I am used to the boat anchor Remington. Lol.

My load is 160gr Nosler AB with IMR 4831. Cant remember the grain of powder off the tip of my head though. Fed 215 primers. I use all Nosler brass. Thick walled and super consistent.

Good luck and have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.