7mm cartridges

A big consideration would be what game you are shooting at that range. For deer sized animals, my 284Win should do that with the right bullet. 280AI or 284Win are what I would consider to be minimums. I think the 7RM would fit well, and if you don't reload, there is plenty of decent ammo available most anywhere.

So here is the decision guide:
  1. Do you hand-load or use factory ammunition?
  2. Deer (1,800 fps & 1,000 ft./lbs.) or Elk (1800 fps. & 1,500 ft./lbs. these numbers should be your on target not muzzle velocity)?
  3. Hunting only gun or a regular shooting gun as well?
  4. Most important: What is your budget?
I am a 7mm junkie and I hand-load so I have both a 280 AI and 28 Nosler. I have taken some nice Elk with both at decent ranges of 422 yards and 383 yards. Both animals dropped in 1 shot. Respectively with the 28 Nosler I would not feel comfortable beyond 800 yards and the 280 AI 650 yards on Elk but would prefer to shoot closer to compensate for my shooting abilities or possible weaknesses in.

I hope this helps!

Begara B-14's and Tikka T3s are pretty good
Scope either a Night Force 4-14X50mm F1 (on my 28 Nosler) or a Vortex Razor LHT 3-15X42 (going on my kids rifle)

My personal favorite is the 7 SAUM, have a 7 Sherman Short in the works. Both great options if you handload. If not 280AI ammo isn't to hard to find and 7 mag can be found just about everywhere. None of these are hard to shoot in a 10 lbs full up gun especially if you put a brake on them

You say most accurate. I've seen accurate 7RM, 7SAUM, and my personal 7WSM. Mine was a GAP and it would shoot 1" at 300 for 3 shots with a 180 Berger, and would shoot 5" at 1k. A good builder can build a very accurate rifle. If I was looking for most accurate cartridge, look at the case dimensions. What is closest in dimensions to a 6 dasher or 6.5x47. I think that would put you looking to the shorter Sherman 7 or 7 SAUM arena.

Thanks guys,
I want a Elk rifle for up to 600 yards.
I have a 7mm WSM in a Defiance action with a Benchmark Barrel, and a Shilen Trigger on a McMillian stock.
This has a Nightforce 5-20 scope.
This gun weights 12 pounds. A little to heavy to pack around for a few hours. Would like something about 10 pounds. Thinking about a Nosler Rifle in 28 Nosler or a Christensen Arms Traverse in 28 Nosler.
I reload all my rifle cartridges. Since the late 1970's.
Plan on using the heavier 7mm bullets. Currently I use Nosler Accubond for my 2, 7mm WSM's.
I like to use the powders that give the best velocity without compressing the powder when seating the bullets.
I usually test 2-3 powders to see what shoots best. Then try different bullets if those do not shoot well.
But I am limited on a couple different bullets and powders. I try to use the most accurate hunting bullets, and would like recommendations.
I've been shooting and reloading for a long time and still feel like I need advise. Since I don't do as much as I'd like to do.

Thanks guys,
I have a 7mm WSM in a Defiance action with a Benchmark Barrel, and a Shilen Trigger on a McMillian stock.
This gun weights 12 pounds. A little to heavy to pack around for a few hours. Would like something about 10 pounds. Thinking about a Nosler Rifle in 28 Nosler or a Christensen Arms Traverse in 28 Nosler.
Plan on using the heavier 7mm bullets. Currently I use Nosler Accubond for my 2, 7mm WSM's.
I like to use the powders that give the best velocity without compressing the powder when seating the bullets.
I usually test 2-3 powders to see what shoots best. Then try different bullets if those do not shoot well.
But I am limited on a couple different bullets and powders. I try to use the most accurate hunting bullets, and would like recommendations.
I've been shooting and reloading for a long time and still feel like I need advise. Since I don't do as much as I'd like to do.

Nosler M48 Moutain Carbon 28 Nosler ($3,000.00), talley rings ($55.00), Night Force SHV 4-14 X 50 mm ($1200.00) comes out to just under 8.5 lbs. unloaded. This is the setup I am using for ELk hunting; not the cheapest. I highly recommend a muzzle break.

After a hard mule deer hunt in 2018 and coming back with both shoulders bruised from carrying my 280 A.I. I made this change.

If you're a hand loader, you should peruse the 7STW threads. I like the 160 Accubonds but for truly long range, you'd be wise to consider a fast twist barrel. My Sako with Z5 scope comes well under your limit. I've taken elk at 500+ and as expected was successfu. I do however prefer larger bullets for elk, near and far. For deer and elk, a large 7mm will clearly work.

The right smith makes cartridges better not the other way around. I chose .280AI because I had a pre-64 to work with but for the .284's and a lighter rifle I'd op for a short action.

Thanks guys,

A good carrying method will help you with that 12 lb rifle. My similar 7mmWSM is 13lb and carries pretty well in a Vorn pack with rifle scabbard - for a day hunt it is fine for me, but if I were packing in on a multi-day hunt I would sure have something lighter.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.