7mm caliber question

Thank you gents for all the info, methinks 7mmRM is the way to go for now, unless something drastic changes. Reason for being so picky is that there are 2 major issues in SA re firearms; almost prohibitive licensing procedures (although the approval process is now down to approx 4-6 months and very hard to justify same caliber weapons so having 3 x 7mm's isnt' happening ) and the crazy cost, (try $1 000 for a standard Rem 700 action, $900 for a Broughton safari contour match barrel, $1.60 per 7mm RM brass (Norma), $66 for 100 168 Berger VLD's) (all at exchange rate 7.5/1).....

Thank you gents for all the info, methinks 7mmRM is the way to go for now, unless something drastic changes. Reason for being so picky is that there are 2 major issues in SA re firearms; almost prohibitive licensing procedures (although the approval process is now down to approx 4-6 months and very hard to justify same caliber weapons so having 3 x 7mm's isnt' happening ) and the crazy cost, (try $1 000 for a standard Rem 700 action, $900 for a Broughton safari contour match barrel, $1.60 per 7mm RM brass (Norma), $66 for 100 168 Berger VLD's) (all at exchange rate 7.5/1).....

Yep. More difficult and expensive to own rifles. But, a LOT more game to choose from.

Best of luck!!
richard

Anyone comment on the gunsmith stating that 7mmRM is not inherently accurate?
Hogwash!
For the distance you are talking about no problem, even out to 1000 yards.
I would find another gunsmith if this one feels a belted cartridge is not accurate, and does not know how to headspace off the shoulder of fireformed brass.

To comment on your caliber choice, I would do any of these in a long action, in order to shoot the VLD's.
There is really no difference in any of your options if only shooting the 168's

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. So currently I think 7mmRM.

Next question, best most accurate long range hunting strongly constructed bullet (yes I am asking a lot....) was thinking of the Sierra 175g Gameking, Nosler 175g Partition at approx 2850 to 2900fps as I mainly shoot kudu, blue/black wildebeest (fairly tough animals) and smaller (impala, springbuck etc). Both are strong and have decent bc's and should have good penetration especially if heavy bone hit.
Running these through JBM Ballistics at 2 900fps and it gives fairly good ballistics, energy retention (1000 + fpe at 750 m) etc.

Berger VLD may be a bit frangible for these heavy boned game?
Pity Barnes do not make a heavier TTSX than 150g in 7mm.

You know Berger makes a 180 grain hunting VLD 7mm bullet. I think the 7 RUM would be better suited for you than the 7 rem. mag. don't discount the Berger 168 grain bullets as they take Elk which is in the game size range you'll be hunting. What ever happened to the 7x57 over there? It has taken more game than any of the other calibers you have mentioned combined and with the new technology in powders and bullets?

lightbulb

I think I would go with the 280 Remington or possilby the 7mm WSM in a long action. The 160 gr. Nosler Accubond is a great bullet with a high BC and would hold together and kill game wonderfully for you. The .280 is no sleeper, especially if you have a 26" barrel on it! Good luck in your decision.

Definitely go with the 7mm mag. I have one and it is a really nice cartridge. I use the 160 accubond on game inside 300 yds and the 168 berger or 162 a-max past 300 yds. So far I have taken game out to 630 yds with it, nearly every kill has been DRT.
Yes the 7stw or 7 rum are bigger, but mot necessarily better. Both will give more recoil and you will probably want/need a muzzle break and they will both go through the barrel quicker. Also both will probably need action modifications to get the long VLD bullets seated out far enough.

Stu.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts