7mm bullet choices

robtattoo

I'm mid build of a .280 Ackley.

What's the consensus on bullet options for up-tp-Elk sized game, possibly out to 700yds?
Lighter & fast, or heavier & slow?

It seems like there is a vast choice available & 7mm isn't something I've ever had any experience with.

Berger 168 VLD or 180 VLD would be my suggestion. The 168's have worked very well for me in my 7mm RemMags on whitetail deer.

150 grn Nosler ABLR
160 Nos AB
168 Nos ABLR
168 Berger VLD Hunting

The 140 grain bullets don't quite float my boat for the 280ai. And I'm a bit gun shy with the 175/180 class bullets.

My 280ai build isn't complete either (still a 270win till after this fall). So take it for what it's worth. :D

Rob, the 168 Berger is very capable on elk. I seen elk killed with them from 70 to 520 yards. Good luck with the new build.

I run berger's 168 in my Ackley, 3015fps from a 26inch barrel. My old 7rem mag ran 3050 with the same bullet. I will say that I was not expecting quite this much speed when I chose the cartridge. I'd have been happy with anything around 2900 or so. If I loaded 180s to the same muzzle energy, the windage would be a little less at long range, but only a little bit.

Several posters mentioned the 168 VLD. Sometimes this bullet won't shoot but a slightly lower BC 168 Berger that will shoot is the 168 Classic hunter which is a hybrid. I have loaded it in four 7mms to date and none even required a change in seating depth. Just worked up the powder charge to find accurate loads. Same for other caliber hybrids.

One of my friend's shot his cow elk under 100 yds with the 168 classic from his 7 rem mag vel 3115 fps. Said it was the fastest kill he had ever seen on an elk. He has been hunting elk for at least 40 yrs.

I have a GAP 280AI. I shoot 168 vld at 2900+ fps. They perform excellent on pigs and deer. I've killed two pigs with one shot several times, thus the penetration must be pretty good. I've never tried the long range Accubond as they came out after I had already developed a load for the VLD. That would probably be my second choice. No clue on how they do on elk because all our elk are in zoos!

I'm mid build of a .280 Ackley.

What's the consensus on bullet options for up-tp-Elk sized game, possibly out to 700yds?
Lighter & fast, or heavier & slow?

It seems like there is a vast choice available & 7mm isn't something I've ever had any experience with.

Go with a 180 Berger VLD or Hybrid. Remember, at some point that heavier bullet that starts out a little slower at the muzzle will pass that lighter faster bullet because the higher BC bullets retain velocity longer. The heavies also have less wind drift and drop. Plus they arrive at long distances with more energy and have higher sectional density. Trust me, you want to hit elk as hard as you can.

Jeff

Go with a 180 Berger VLD or Hybrid. Remember, at some point that heavier bullet that starts out a little slower at the muzzle will pass that lighter faster bullet because the higher BC bullets retain velocity longer. The heavies also have less wind drift and drop. Plus they arrive at long distances with more energy and have higher sectional density. Trust me, you want to hit elk as hard as you can.

Jeff

do what my brother is doing and hang an 8" twist pipe (he's going Brux) on your 280ai.... that way you can shoot whatever bullet you want, including the heavy barnes mono and 190-195 grain bullets as they get more common...

I put a 8" twist (Shilen Select Match) on my recent 7stw build and I'm still working on heavy bullet loads, but she shoots to 1/4- 1/2 moa with a couple of bullets so far. It seems I've got to go mild with 180's; she won't break below 1/2 moa unless I drop her to 2900 fps or so with what I've tried so far...

By the way, a 8" twist seems to work very well with 140's too; the 140 nos bt with rl25 is shooting lights out in the stw... the last 200 yard group I fired (with a egg frying hot barrel) measured .52" ctc...

p.s. there was zero load development for the 140 bt load; I had around 400 of them loaded from my old Sendero 7stw. I ditched that rifle 3 years ago...

1:8 may not be a bad idea, especially given the writing is on the wall with the future of lead core bullets. The 7mm 168 Barns LRX is advertised with needing a 1:8 twist.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what the down side to having a faster twist barrel is. Maybe it puts a bit more wear on the barrels???

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.