7mm Blaser Mag experience?

He's right 300 Blaser Mag is basically the same dimension at 30 Nosler. You'll be using the same brass manufacturer even. If you want a longer neck and something that fits in a DBM I get it then.

I'm getting a reamer made for 28 Nosler brass with the shoulder knocked back to 33 Nosler dimension. It's basically a 7 Dakota but without the bigger case head and with out the garbage Hornady brass that the Dakotas use now. If the ADG brass becomes a reality for 7LRM I will likely abandon the whole project. So I'm waiting to see.

Why don't you just go with a 28 Nosler and save yourself all the hassle.

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old thread here, this one got a little side tracked with going bigger.

I would be interested to here more about those of you shooting the 7mm blaser or even a 6.5-7mm blaser.

I have read just about everything online about this case and think it is a well thought out and designed case. I was looking for something exactly half way between the WSM and the big Noslers with good brass, my research/quest brought me to the 7mm Blasers.

BT

The 7mm Blaser Magnum is ideal with it's 2.35" Cartridge Length for long High B.C. bullets such as (~1.53") 180 grain Berger Hybrid with a SAAMI COAL spec of 3.340". It is too much overbore to be necked down to a 6.5/ 7mm Blaser, IMHO. It has a usable powder capacity of 76.25 grains in the standard unimproved case.

The 7mm Blaser Magnum is ideal with it's 2.35" Cartridge Length for long High B.C. bullets such as (~1.53") 180 grain Berger Hybrid with a SAAMI COAL spec of 3.340". It is too much overbore to be necked down to a 6.5/ 7mm Blaser, IMHO. It has a usable powder capacity of 76.25 grains in the standard unimproved case.
Necked down its basically equal to a 264wm. Not know for barrel life. However powders have come a long way, and if you don't abuse it by shooting it hot, it should last a long time.

I'm currently shooting the 6.5wsm from a long action with custom bullets at 178 grains pushing them to 3000 fps. I think the 6.5-7mm Blaser would not be too overbore for my needs and probably feed better for hunting purposes then the WSM.

I do like the looks of the Blaser, is anyone shooting it yet in a 6.5?

The SST does look great and looks to have been optimized for the short action.

I don't mind the idea of a long action and feel like the SST to the short, the Blaser is to the long action.

BT

I'm currently shooting the 6.5wsm from a long action with custom bullets at 178 grains pushing them to 3000 fps. I think the 6.5-7mm Blaser would not be too overbore for my needs and probably feed better for hunting purposes then the WSM.

Where are you getting 178GR 6.5mm bullets from? Any data on those big boys

I think the 6.5-7mm Blaser would not be too overbore for my needs and probably feed better for hunting purposes then the WSM.

I would agree with you, I don't think a necked down 6.5 Blaser would be to overbore. In a 26in barreled rifle I wouldn't want anything larger than the Blaser case though, and if a 6.5 Blaser is considered too overbore, what does that make the 26 Nosler or 6.5-300Wby???

Obviously, I'm partial to the 7mm Blaser, but I think a 270 Blaser and or 6.5 Blaser slinging the heavy for caliber bullets would be a great match up, particularly, if you don't want to run a real long barrel.

In a 26in barrel, the 7mm Blaser mag case makes for a great hunting usable size rifle that really gives up nothing to the much larger case capacity cartridges like the 28 Nosler, 7 LRM, or some of the different wildcats.

Nothing wrong with overbore cartridges, I have a few myself, but I think once you get to a certain size case, in order to get the benefit of all that case capacity/powder you need longer barrels than 26 inches. Nothing wrong with 28+ or ++ length barrels but they aren't always the easiest to hunt with and, just my opinion here, but when you start going longer than 26 you also need to go a little bigger profile as well, which all starts adding a good amount of weight and before you know it, you've got a much heavier gun than you were originally expecting. I speak from experience on that because I have some that ended up being considerably bigger/heavier than I originally planned. Nothing wrong with those, but depending on your type of shooting/hunting those big heavy long rifles aren't always the most convenient to hunt with.

Danny,

I make the 178s myself. I'll post some info on them soon in a new thread. Shot from a 7 twist with RL-33 in 28" 6.5WSM at 3000fps. Bullet is 1.59" in length. I think it would be a good match in a 6.5 Blaser.

My twist is probably too slow at 1-8 but I have a long throated 264WM that would probably be pretty cool with that bullet.