7mm berger vld dummy for gunsmith?

bcoving

I'm building a 7 mag to shoot 168 vld's. My gunsmith wants a dummy round for overall length. How deep would you seat the vld for the dummy round?

Complicated question.....but I would ask him to chamber it so you can reach the lands and still be able to put rounds in the magazine (Assuming you are building a repeater). In other words, if you give him some one else's OAL, you may find out that you will have to shoot it single shot because your magazine is shorter than the length you provided.

It may not be a problem with a 7 mag/long action, but my 7wsm/short action needed an extended box mag so I can seat my 168 VLD's into the lands and still use the magazine.

If I decide to shoot the 180's I will have to shoot them single shot.....I believe (haven't had that urge, yet).

What I'm asking is not counting jump can the berger bullet be seated to far in the case? Is there a max seating depth for example, top of boatail at bottom of neck, or something like that?

What I'm asking is not counting jump can the berger bullet be seated to far in the case? Is there a max seating depth for example, top of boatail at bottom of neck, or something like that?

That would be ideal but other bullets would be touching the lands and would have to be
seated even deeper.

I would set the Berger bullet 1 calibre (Minimum recommended seating depth) deep and tell
him how much jump you want. .005, .010,.015 or even touching.

That way you would have some flexability with bullets if you wanted to change to a standard
ojive design,

If you want to use the magazine that would be the C.O.A.L but if you do that the rifle may be
limited on what you can shoot in it.

If it is to be target only then you can set it up for one bullet only like the berger but if you
intend to hunt I would cut a standard chamber and seat the bergers long.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

bcoving - I can certainly take a measurement for you, as I have lots of 168's loaded. It's a 7wsm not a regular 7 mag, but maybe you are looking for a general measurement.....???

I called the guy at berger and he said seat the bullet so that the top of the boatail is at the bottom of the neck.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.