7mm berger bullet choice

ridgeline300

Working on a 7 SAUM build and wondering what everyone prefers for bullets. Will be loaded in a long action so length is not a concern. I am partial to bergers. The 215 hybrid and 156 elite have worked wonders for me in the past. I think i have it narrowed down to the 175 elite hunter or the 180 hybrid. What do you guys think?

Should mention this will be primarily a mule deer rifle and the occasional elk but mostly likely will use the 300 win for elk. Looking for accuracy reports and performance on game

I think either of them would be good in a long action......mine is built on a short action with 23" barrel and I had to shoot the 168 Classic Hunters. Loading them fairly slow at 2850 FPS using H4831(for temp stability) and they are considerably less than 1/2 MOA out to 800 yards which is as far as I've shot it....was able to get between 2950 and 3000 FPS using RE22 and another powder that I can't remember right now, my notes aren't in front of me.....the non temp stable powders were just as accurate when they were in the "node" but velocities swung quite a bit from 30F to 80F and accuracy went out the window when velocities got out of the node.....

I'm building a 7 SAUM now too. Going with the 175 elite hunter to start with, along with the 175 ABLR. Starting and ending with ADG brass and Reloder 23.
Good luck with the ABLR bullets. I have tried them in several rigs only to be really disappointed. Have a Cooper 280 AI that shot the first couple of boxes of same lot number lights out. When those bullets were gone the magic disappeared for good. Such a disappointment.......the rifle is a solid .4 MOA rifle with the Barnes 145 LRX from any lot number. This reply is absolutely not meant to slam Nosler, I shoot LOTS of standard Accubonds and Ballistic Tips. Just have never been able to consistently figure out the ABLR's

Go for the 180s. I am shooting them out of a Stiller predator short action with no problem. Put some rl26 under em and I'm sitting just a touch over 3k FPS. It's quite the hammer on mule deer and boy do those bullets fly great!

Thanks for the replies so far. I don't think i can go wrong with either but like to hear some first hand accounts. I have ADG brass coming soon and 8+ pounds of RL26, N565, and N570 to test with.

Thanks for the replies so far. I don't think i can go wrong with either but like to hear some first hand accounts. I have ADG brass coming soon and 8+ pounds of RL26, N565, and N570 to test with.
Never tried 570 even though I have a few lbs of it. But I would think it's probably a big too slow burning to get your velocities up. N565 will probably do you pretty well and is pretty temp stable in my experience. It's extremely close to h1000.

I built a 7SAUM few years back and it shoot equally well 162 a-max and 180 Bgr Hyb, was not consistent with 180VLD. H4831sc, H1000 and Retumbo shoot well.

Shoot 2 deers over 450yds with the amax with good results. If you prefer hunting bullet, 162 sst, shoots almost like the a-max on paper.

Good luck

Adg is definitely my top choice in 7 Saum. I will use it until lapua or in my opinion even better yet Peterson come out with 7 Saum

Never tried 570 even though I have a few lbs of it. But I would think it's probably a big too slow burning to get your velocities up. N565 will probably do you pretty well and is pretty temp stable in my experience. It's extremely close to h1000.
N570 has surprised me in a few cartridges. It has been magic in 6.5-284's and 6.5 PRC's that i have loaded for. As long as you can load long and have plenty of case capacity

I like and would recommend the 175 Elites. They shoot great and produce great results on deer and elk in my 280 AI. They seem to fragment a little less than the VLDS and Classic hunters Ive shot. I used elites in 6.5 and in 338 rum on elk and oryx with same results. I have no experience with the 180 hybrids

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.