7mm berger bullet choice

That was sort of my thoughts too... it will be for 80% deer but it usually works out that my shots are less than 500 yards. Most are under 300. last year was 75! So I wonder if the thicker jacket may be better with the higher velocity impacts that will be more common
My load of rl26 for the 180vld is 60.9 grains. I'd start somewhere around 55 grains and work up. I've never tried n565 in that gun but I know it shoots almost identical to h1000 with 140s and a prc.

My load of rl26 for the 180vld is 60.9 grains. I'd start somewhere around 55 grains and work up. I've never tried n565 in that gun but I know it shoots almost identical to h1000 with 140s and a prc.
I was thinking that 55 grain area would be a good starting point. N565 seems to be very close to RL26 to me, just maybe not quite the velocity. Hard to beat RL26 for velocity... just wish it wasn't so temp sensitive.

I was thinking that 55 grain area would be a good starting point. N565 seems to be very close to RL26 to me, just maybe not quite the velocity. Hard to beat RL26 for velocity... just wish it wasn't so temp sensitive.
I've never had many issues with rl26 except right at the very top of pressure. I originally worked up to 61.5 and had slight pressure signs, as the barrel settled in and increased velocity it started showing a bit more pressure. All in about the same temperature range. After thy I starred to work back to my original velocity/accuracy nodes and once I got back down to the 61.1-60.7 range everything in between shot right at 3000-3008 range. Settled on 60.9 and I've shot that from 85degrees in direct sunlight to 20 degrees in the Idaho high country with half moa or better accuracy. I think the temp issues come from people pushing the pressure envelope with it.

I've never had many issues with rl26 except right at the very top of pressure. I originally worked up to 61.5 and had slight pressure signs, as the barrel settled in and increased velocity it started showing a bit more pressure. All in about the same temperature range. After thy I starred to work back to my original velocity/accuracy nodes and once I got back down to the 61.1-60.7 range everything in between shot right at 3000-3008 range. Settled on 60.9 and I've shot that from 85degrees in direct sunlight to 20 degrees in the Idaho high country with half moa or better accuracy. I think the temp issues come from people pushing the pressure envelope with it.
I would agree. if you are within a grain or 2 of pressure and do load development in mild weather. You will definitely be pushing it when the weather gets hot.

Working on a 7 SAUM build and wondering what everyone prefers for bullets. Will be loaded in a long action so length is not a concern. I am partial to bergers. The 215 hybrid and 156 elite have worked wonders for me in the past. I think i have it narrowed down to the 175 elite hunter or the 180 hybrid. What do you guys think?
Running the 175 elites with 54-56gr H4350. One hole at 100 and have shot 3" group at 1,000. DRT on Axis at 500yds. Good luck!

Should mention this will be primarily a mule deer rifle and the occasional elk but mostly likely will use the 300 win for elk. Looking for accuracy reports and performance on game
So use a real hunting bullet, and not a chunk of glass. The Barnes LRX is a MUCH better choice.

Have you looked at the 184 Hybrids? I would like to see some on game reports but I would imagine they'll work just like 180s.
@lancetkenyon highly recommends the 184 Hybrid in several calibers. I would take his recommendations to the bank as his load work routine is as good as they come.

If you do a search with 184 as the subject and his name as the poster you will find lots of posts on them

@lancetkenyon highly recommends the 184 Hybrid in several calibers. I would take his recommendations to the bank as his load work routine is as good as they come.

If you do a search with 184 as the subject and his name as the poster you will find lots of posts on them
I have loaded the 184 F-Open Hyb in several HUNTING rifles. I have switched to the 184 in my personal 7RM @ 3035fps. I used to run the 180 Hyb with fantastic results too, on quite a few elk. My 7RM is strictly an elk rifle, however.
I have loaded them in .280AI, 7SAUM, and 28 Nosler too. From 2890 to 3180fps. Deer, elk, black bears, all fall like turning off a switch. Near or far, hasn't made a difference.

I have loaded the 184 F-Open Hyb in several HUNTING rifles. I have switched to the 184 in my personal 7RM @ 3035fps. I used to run the 180 Hyb with fantastic results too, on quite a few elk. My 7RM is strictly an elk rifle, however.
I have loaded them in .280AI, 7SAUM, and 28 Nosler too. From 2890 to 3180fps. Deer, elk, black bears, all fall like turning off a switch. Near or far, hasn't made a difference.
Lance, how much different was the velocity between the 175,180, and 184? Would you recommend the 184 out of the 3 in a saum around 2850-2900?

I know you are loading in a LA so COAL isn't a concern. I load for a SAMMI spec 7mm WSM so I did some load workup with the 168gr Classic Hunters. I had some concern on the VLDs being too long and the Classic Hunters were supposed to be slightly less jump sensitive. Without much effort I found a sub 3/4 MOA load using H4350 and Fed GMM primers. I know Bergers as a whole get a bad wrap for a hunting bullet. My MV is only 2850 fps out of my 22" build and had no issues doing a bull elk at 325 yards this fall.

Lance, how much different was the velocity between the 175,180, and 184? Would you recommend the 184 out of the 3 in a saum around 2850-2900?

I can't speak for the 175's having never shot them.....but the difference between the 180's and the 184's with the same powder charge is typically around "30ish"fps.....ballistically you would need to run the 180's almost 50fps faster to match the 184's at a grand all else being equal.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts