• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

7mm barrel for M70

wildcat westerner

Hello, I could use some insight here. I want to get a barrel for a post 64 Model 70 action, presently in '06 for my best friend. he simply cannot tolerate the recoil. I am seeking a take off factory barrel in 7mm (.280, 7mm Mauser) for this action. I know there isa difference in pre and post 64 barrels, but have been told this is not a major issue for a competent gunsmith and the barrel will be rechambered to .280AI with a muzzlebrake. I have just been informed to day that the newest Model 70's are being made in Portugal and the action threads are now metrics, so that leaves those barrels "out, along with .284's and 7mm magnums. There is a fiscal issue here.
So, I would appreciate the insights since there may be some insights into acquiring the correct barrel for this conversion.
Thank you in advance
Gene So

I have a 7mm WSM take off barrel from a push feed model 70. The barrel bore is not in good shape and I don't think it would work for you because you would need a magnum bolt face for it. The threads were measured and the gunsmith told me they were the same thread diameter and pitch as a tikka t3. That doesn't mean a tikka barrel would work on a winchester 70. Is the action you speak of a push feed or claw extractor.

Thank you for your reply. The rifle I am referring to is a post '64 type and I believe it's called a push feed. If the barre l you have is is a 7wsm, it almost certainly has a metric thread and would potentially fit a Tikka, and not this action. One of the reasons I have taken on this challenge is I knew it could turn complicated. Eventually I feel we shall run into the correct barrel at a good price for this rifle.
Thanks again
Gene so

I have a new take off barrel from a Model 70 7mm Rem Mag. It is a 24" stainless barrel. I purchased it for my Model 70 to just have around. I am willing to part with it if you're interested. My rifle is not a pre 64, however it does have the pre 64 mauser claw bolt.

Hello ,your barrel has good points: stainless steel and 7mm, however it has two points that mean I can't use it. Magnum case chambering mean it must be set back to rechamber for .280 AI and it is only 24" which means it will almost certainly only be 22 inches long when finished. The barrel will be too short for our usage. I thank you for your interest. I must say you must have a unique action, a post '64 with a pre '64 bolt or else it must be one of the new Portuguese metric Model 70's.
Happy New Year.