7mm Barnes lrx and nosler AB long range

Scale124

Anybody using the Barnes lrx 168g and nosler accubond lr 175? If so what kind of accuracy are you getting and what 7mm are you using. Load data would be nice to know also. Any game taken with these?

What caliber are you pertaining this to? Which 7mm do you shoot?

The LRX 168's shoot 1/2" to 3/4" in mine and my brothers rifles.. they do require a faster than normal twist because of the longer bearing surfaces though. I personally am of the opinion these bullets fill a niche in the heavy-weight 7mm category for the fact they can be pushed (by them) to speeds that make the bullet a viable 7/800-yard hunting bullet... brother & I load them right in that 3200fps range in 7.21 Firebirds and do use them on ALL game, from coyotes & whitetail, right up to bears/moose and elk.. ranges we've had kills vary from 25-yards to 700-yards and the bullets have always worked as expected. Really like 'em.

I want to get a 7 rem mag or 7 lrm. Plan on shooting 168 and or trying the 175 nosler. I like the performance of Barnes on game. I used Berger on a few feral pigs and found the bullet to fragment, pigs were shot under 150 yards.

I want to get a 7 rem mag or 7 lrm. Plan on shooting 168 and or trying the 175 nosler. I like the performance of Barnes on game. I used Berger on a few feral pigs and found the bullet to fragment, pigs were shot under 150 yards.

That's what Bergers are supposed to do. Don't expect them to have the same results as an all copper bullet. Both get the job done, I'm in the Berger camp myself :Dgun)

I just had a rifle made up using a factory take off stainless 26" 7mm Remington Mag barrel. It has the 9 1/4" factory twist. I planned on starting off working up loads with the 175 first. Sierra 175SBT, Nosler 175PT and then I saw some of those long 175ABLR were available here locally. I sent a question to Nosler, asking if they would shoot in my factory twsit Remington. They answered and said that at 26" I should have no problem with them. I was please as I shot the 168ABLR out of my .280 at 2880fps. When zeroed +1"@100 I was spot on at 200! It was super flat and while it was no long range test, I was impressed. I loaded that 168 .030" off the lands. So, when I finally get this 7mm Mag broke in, I'm starting out with R33 with the 175s and see what I can get. I'm after a solid 3000fps with the 175s and with R26 I want a solid 3100 with the 160's. I hope I get there as this is the first 26" 7 RemMag I've ever played with, same with the new Reloder powders. No H1000 anywhere around here or that I could find, and I loathe H870 'smutt butt" dirty powder!

Lots of folks at sea level with factory twist rates having issues stabilizing the 168gr LRX from what I've read, even in the faster magnums. I shoot the 145gr LRX in 7-08 and rather than mess with the 168gr in my soon to be 280AI I think I will just run the 145gr as well there (not that I'm worried about stabilizing it here in CO but if I traveled lower it could be an issue).

Might be an idea to call or email the boys at Gunwerks to see what they are getting out of that 7LRM for velocity & such with the LRX.. awhile back I noticed they load factory ammo using that bullet. So if that's the calibre you're considering, (they) of all people, oughtta know the barrel twist & load detail to make it work-- I've personally questioned other LRM shooters (multiple times) whether they had tried the 168lrx in their's, and what speeds n all they were seeing, but have never gotten a concrete response. Think most guys build them to shoot the Hybrid's.

Scale124

The 168 LRX did not stabilize in my 9 twist 7mm WSM. I had oblong holes running that bullet up to 3,100 fps at 750 feet elevation. Faster than that it started to behave but that was in a custom throated 7mm WSM with a COAL of 3.165" and you can't get there with a standard 7mm WSM. The bottom line, take out your sharpie and run and line though the 1 in 9 twist printed on the box and write in 1 in 8.

Nevertheless, I like the LRX and plan on using it in my 28 Nosler which is an 8 twist.

I do find it interesting that you would mention the 168 Barnes LRX and the 175 ABLRs in the same sentence. Those bullets are polar opposites. I have both bullets and will likely use the ABLRs for shooting rocks and the 168 LRX on game. If I every get cocky enough to think I could shoot game out past 800 yards (not likely) I might consider using the 175 ABLRs which I see as too soft for up close work.

I have a 7mm mag. The lrx doesn't do NEARLY as well as the 168 Berger VLD. I don't get the accuracy. 1moa with lrx and .1 MOA with the VLD. Plus the VLD has a higher BC.

If I was doing it over, I would build a 1/9 or faster 26-28" barrel to shoot the 180 VLD. They really hit hard. You can tell if you shoot mild steel, at long ranges you still will almost penetrate 1/2" steel at 800 yards with my gun.

That's what Bergers are supposed to do. Don't expect them to have the same results as an all copper bullet. Both get the job done, I'm in the Berger camp myself :Dgun)

I love the Berger accuracy, but here in Hawaii outr large game is 150.lbs, and a fragmented bullet in the shoulder means a lot of wasted meat. But they do the job!

Lots of folks at sea level with factory twist rates having issues stabilizing the 168gr LRX from what I've read, even in the faster magnums. I shoot the 145gr LRX in 7-08 and rather than mess with the 168gr in my soon to be 280AI I think I will just run the 145gr as well there (not that I'm worried about stabilizing it here in CO but if I traveled lower it could be an issue).

Seems like it's needs a quicker twist, thanks

Scale124

The 168 LRX did not stabilize in my 9 twist 7mm WSM. I had oblong holes running that bullet up to 3,100 fps at 750 feet elevation. Faster than that it started to behave but that was in a custom throated 7mm WSM with a COAL of 3.165" and you can't get there with a standard 7mm WSM. The bottom line, take out your sharpie and run and line though the 1 in 9 twist printed on the box and write in 1 in 8.

Nevertheless, I like the LRX and plan on using it in my 28 Nosler which is an 8 twist.

I do find it interesting that you would mention the 168 Barnes LRX and the 175 ABLRs in the same sentence. Those bullets are polar opposites. I have both bullets and will likely use the ABLRs for shooting rocks and the 168 LRX on game. If I every get cocky enough to think I could shoot game out past 800 yards (not likely) I might consider using the 175 ABLRs which I see as too soft for up close work.
Thanks for the info

So I should spec a gun with a quicker twist than the stock Remington of 1:9.25 to at least 1:9-1:8 for the longer bullets up to 180 Berger? Would it still be able to shoot 150's accurately?

There was a thread last week or so that folks were recommending 8 twist and thinking it should be fine for all but the thin jacket light varmint bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.