7mm at 600

Caleb85

I finally got out to shoot my 7mm this is at 600 yards and I was wondering if this is a decent group at that range ? At 200 yards this load will make a three leaf clover. I thought it should have done better at 600.

Attachments

• 20140623_104942.jpg
    20140623_104942.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 67
Wow , your shooting plow disks at 600 with 7mm and not busting them? I have 2 targets made from 15 in plow disks and i use them for 22 rimfire, had no idea that they were that tough. Whats the closest you have shot them and with what?

Last edited:
I finally got out to shoot my 7mm this is at 600 yards and I was wondering if this is a decent group at that range ? At 200 yards this load will make a three leaf clover. I thought it should have done better at 600.

I'd be happy with it. YMMV. gun)

Caleb85

Keep in mind that 600 yards is about where the wind really starts to take over. If you shoot a good group it is probably indicative that the rifle is a shooter. If you shoot a bad group you don't really know if it is the rifle or the wind. Keep trying. If it doesn't get better then you will know it is the rifle/load - especially if you are getting a lot of vertical. My money is on the wind however. Just for reference my best group at 600 yards was 2.187" with a full custom 338 RUM. There was a consistent wind from 5 o'clock so it didn't mess me up in that case - but it usually does. If you really want some fun, try shooting a golf ball at 800 yards. More than likely, you will be at it a while.

I'm not sure how many rounds in the image represent the "group" but I see four impacts on the target to it appears to me to be about a 7 inch group. If that's correct, and assuming that we're focused on hunting rather than competition shooting, the results indicate to me that this is the maximum target distance that this shooter should consider.
It would help to know what the wind conditions were (I don't see any indications of heavy wind influences in the group however) and what shooting position/technique (prone, standing, sitting, bipod, crossed sticks, rest, etc.) you are using.
A 7 inch group at 600 yards is a good start for developing long range hunting skills so keep working at it.

There are 5 holes in the blade the three closest to my hand are the "group"..The hole at the bottom and there is another underneath my hand...The shooting is off the hood of my pickup...With hand loads ..65.2 gr.H1000 168gr.berger. and GM215M...

I could see the holes, till i zoomed in. Looks like about 1 moa to me! It would be a really good group if you take away the one at the bottom of the disk! Have you chronograph the 168 load? Es will cause you to " drop" the occoisioal bullet

clover leafing at 200 yds is great shooting, what 7mm??? your 600 yd group is very good yes it can always be better for us all, but thats not always possible. i shoot a disk blade but mines turned around. still great fun cause the bullets liquify and smoke gray.

another forum member asked how close you could shoot one, my disk shooting starts at 300 yds,closer and the bullet will pass through, even edge hits can cause holes the thinner metal can only take so much,

yes smaller
calibers and the disk can be moved closer,saftey 1st, its a great training tool for long range, cause it build's Confidence after all thats what we're after.

regards jjmp

caleb85

Your latest looks to be about a 3 inch group. At 600 yards that is 0.5 MOA. Most guys would call that good and go hunting. If you want to improve it work up a load with ES at or approaching single digits to reduce the vertical spread which you have some of in your group. You will of course need a chrono to do that.

I ask about the old disks because we use them for 22 rifles. I basicly have an unlimited supply of 15 inch disks. I never shot them with anything but 22s. I may try them at 800 yards.

It a Remington Sendero old style in 7mm mag. With a leupold 6.5-20..have never had it conoed....

Here's the old girl now!

Attachments

• 20121021_084224.jpg
    20121021_084224.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.