7mm Allen mag build need help

Boman

I'm ordering parts now for a 7 AM build and I'm trying to decide what configuration to use for bottom metal. ADL, BDL or DBM? What have you guys done on your builds and what would you do if you could. I only want to build this once so I want to do it right the first time.

Thanks,

BB is right SINGLE SHOT!
If you have to have a repeater ask Kirby what HE recommends. Asking the rest of us is like asking a Nascar driver how to build the car, he don't know he just drives the **** thing.
Dave

Single shots are great and I do like them but if you want a repeater, the very best I have found for the 7mm AM is the HS Precision DM system. No need for a mag length longer then standard 3.670". The Bergers can not handle top end 7mm AM velocity levels and all other bullets work just great in conventional length mag boxes. I have been very happy with the 175 gr SMK and it easily fits in a standard length mag box.

Just comes down to personal preference. A solid bottom stock and single shot receiver is certainly the strongest and most rigid choice but the repeaters do shoot very well also so it really your choice, either way, I assure you she will shoot very well for you.

Mine has the HSP DBM and if you guy's single shots shoot any better......How do you stand it?
mine took its 22nd deer today since its maiden voyage in nov. of 2006.
RR

That's really interesting about the berger's. I had originally thought about using the Bergers in this 7 so that's a bummer to hear. Can someone speak to the problems more in depth about the Bergers?

Ridge Runner,

****, I thought old green was doing good with 13 killer under her belt, 22, ****, good job my friend!!!

Boman,

The berger bullets use a jacket that is relatively thin. In all my testing, from 22, 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm and 30 cal, once the muzzle velocity gets over 3200 fps, accuracy can and often does drop off noticably. Past 3250 fps you generally always have some level of accuracy loss and over 3300 fps its not uncommon to see an occasional bullet come apart.

The 7mm AM will drive a 180 gr bullet to +3400 fps easily. Hell, I am shooting the 175 gr SMK to 3450 fps and on 30" custom receivered rifles we can drive that bullet to 3550 fps!!! The SMK has a heavier jacket and it will take the stress of these high launch speeds, the Bergers would not have a hope in heck.

The SMK has a much better BC then advertised as well, I have to use .680 to get my drop chart to match up to actual bullet flight so they are not much below the Bergers and can be driven MUCH faster.

Thanks Kirby, thank you for the info. Theres no flies on the SMK so that's fine with me. Hopefully Wildcat bullets will get up and running again too. I know many have had great success with those bullets as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.