7mm Accubond Carnage...graphic pics

Dan B

Walloped a doe this AM with the 7mm-270WSM XP-100. Hit her with a Nosler 7mm 160gr Accubond w/ a MV of 2750fps. Range was nothing extraordinary...around 200yds. Bullet entered between the front right shoulder and the neck and exited behind the left shoulder. The deer did the usual 75yd downhill heart shot sprint and cartwheeled to a halt.

Entrance was caliber in size and the exit was about 1.5"...looked like a great hit to minimize meat damage for the oppurtunity I was presented. Heart and lungs were mush when I opened her up.

From the following pic it all looks good. This from the inside of the chest cavity showing the entrance on the right at the very front and exit on the left.

MVC-056S.JPG

The next image is of the entrance (right) side. As you will see, the entire right side of the ribcage is jelly. And this was with a hit in FRONT of the shoulder.

MVC-054S.JPG

This is the exit side.

MVC-053S.JPG

I had thought the bonded core Accubond bullet would not blow up this bad. And I'm not driving this bullet near as fast as rifle shooters. I've drilled a bunch of deer with the 180gr .338" NBT @ 2500fps and not gotten this kind of meat damage. Any thoughts??

[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts??

[/ QUOTE ]

Switch to SMK's..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually I shot a nice 9pt (375 yds) on Nov. 16 with a 160 NAB in 7mm RUM @ 3400 fps and had the same result if not worse. I hit him behind the shoulder straight through the lungs. The entrance hole was about the size of a golf ball and the exit hole was larger than my fist (I actually stuck my fist through it). This isn't the first deer I've shot with these bullets but it is the first time it has been this devastating.

You might try the 154gr InterBond by Hornady, its BC is .525 and I have seen test where it retained more weight than the AB. Or go to a wildcat bullet around the same weight, they stay together.

take it easy
steve

I used to get that kind of damage all the time when I was pushing 130 sierra boat tails out of a 270 @ 3150.

I switched to Hornady 140 Interlocks and have had better performance.

Also 130 Nos Ballistic tips resulted in less meat damage.

Also, longer range helps. In your cartridge's case much longer range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

in my experience the wildcat (you talking about Widcat Bullets I guess??)' will do much more meat damage than an acubond or an interbond.

I shot a doe last year with a 140 accubond at 3100 f.p.s. out of a 7mm saum. The shot broke the left shoulder, turned the heart and lungs to mush, and exited behind the right shoulder. Hardly any bloodshot meat to speak of. I just was'nt pleased with how far the deer went after being hit.

Dan ,

Whats not to like ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks for the cool pix BTW.

There may be a bullet out there that will make them more dead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif but somehow I doubt it .

Jim B.

This is from my deer story last year on a five point whitetail buck using a 7mmWby loaded hot.

[ QUOTE ]
The 160 AB at 50 yds had broken the near shoulder bone and two nearside ribs, splattered bone fragments into the chest cavity (one big fragment of bone apparently slammed into the heart from the bruise on it) and then broke two more ribs and the bottom ball joint of the far shoulder and exited.

[/ QUOTE ]

Takes a lickin an' keeps on tickin

[ QUOTE ]
There may be a bullet out there that will make them more dead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif but somehow I doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. Guess I am more suprised than disappointed and was just wondering what everyone else was seeing for performance.

But I was suprised with the expansion with this bullet at a MV 2750fps....I'd expect it from you guys driving them over 3K...just thought they were tougher than that. Only reason I had them loaded was for my elk trip last month...and most of us know how that ended!! (If not, I got thrown from a mule and did NOT kill an elk). So I figured that instead of loading more A-Max's (my fave in this gun), that I would use what I had the most of (the 160NAB).

BTW...had the sun been up earlier then the shot would have been around 400yds but she kept getting closer and closer while legal shooting time got nearer. So I kept re-ranging and reading my drop chart from bottom to top.

Dan

I don't think the extensive damage was necessarily because of bullet expansion/exploding or what ever! You have to remember what a chunk of lead flying at hi-velocity does to soft flesh upon impact. The bullet initiates a splash type reaction from the surrounding tissue, and as such the tissue moves out of the way, big time. I've seen a few slow motion films showing what a bullet traveling at hi-vel does to soft tissue, and it ain't pretty. A 7mm bullet will push a cavity about 6-8" OD, roughly. Just because you hit the ribcage, doesn't mean the surrounding tissue wasn't affected accordingly. Now that I've said that, my point is only that the carnage might not be the bullet. Then again maybe it was! I'm just saying that I've seen extensive damage from non expanding bullets, and I'm not talking about bullet tumble either. Go shoot some small animals with 150gr fmj bullets out of a 30-06 and see if you can find any part of it left. There isn't any time for bullet to tumble when going through an animal only 3-4" thick. Animals literaly look like they explode.

Dan, Your bullet in no way "blew up", It performed as designed.

I shot 2 elk this year with a 140 grain AB out of a 280.

4x3 bull 30 yards; quartering to me, bullet broke scapula and vertabray, stopped under offside hide, wieght 119 grains, very nice mushroom.

Very large cow,(was bigger than the 4x3) Hit twice @ about 150, One bullet recovered under offside hide 126 grains.

The large area of "jelly" in your pictures is the result of a massive hemorage with the deer sprinting 75 yards. The blood pools up in the soft membranes between the muscles due to the running action, and coagulates.

The exit hole does not look at all excessive as it angled through the chest and contacted a rib on the off side.

IMO, it acted perfectly! The ballistic tip blew up for quick expansion and the bonded core gave good penetration. I think that this shows that the bullet is good for close and long range on deer.

For Elk at long range this may be a good choice too, but short range might make me nervous, and I would not aim for a shoulder in any case. Shoulder shots are for Partitions and that type of bullet, IMO, IMO, IMO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

edge.

Those pictures make me happy that I just bought 300 of the 150 grain 30 caliber Accubonds for deer hunting...thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.