7mm-33Nosler

Its on the back burner for the moment as I'm in the middle of opening a brewery. So here's where I left off.

I decided that a 28Nosler case knocked back just one step to 30 Nosler shoulder dimension was plenty. If you're running something longer than the 197 then the step to 33Nos shoulder might make sense. The 33 Nosler is plenty of capacity as well but its a tougher step than 28-30 shoulder. Going to 33 makes shoulder out of decent body thickness case. It has to be done in two steps if you're going to 33 Nosler shoulder. Also I found that annealing before knocking back the shoulder resulted in creases due to how soft the native brass is already. Then to finish up I neck turned and it chewed off a good bit of brass. It might be best to neck turn in two passes to end up with a 0.015" neck wall thickness. Starting with your neck turner at the finished thickness is a bear due to the thick shoulder brass thats now part of the longer neck. Maybe use imperial sizing wax. I was using lanolin mixed with methanol just to try it out.

Its on the back burner for the moment as I'm in the middle of opening a brewery. So here's where I left off.

I decided that a 28Nosler case knocked back just one step to 30 Nosler shoulder dimension was plenty. If you're running something longer than the 197 then the step to 33Nos shoulder might make sense. The 33 Nosler is plenty of capacity as well but its a tougher step than 28-30 shoulder. Going to 33 makes shoulder out of decent body thickness case. It has to be done in two steps if you're going to 33 Nosler shoulder. Also I found that annealing before knocking back the shoulder resulted in creases due to how soft the native brass is already. Then to finish up I neck turned and it chewed off a good bit of brass. It might be best to neck turn in two passes to end up with a 0.015" neck wall thickness. Starting with your neck turner at the finished thickness is a bear due to the thick shoulder brass thats now part of the longer neck. Maybe use imperial sizing wax. I was using lanolin mixed with methanol just to try it out.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to try starting with some 30 Nosler brass rather than 28, figuring reducing the neck diameter will be a good trade off for not having to set the sholder back that extra .050 +-. I let you know how wrong i was about that.

I like knocking the shoulder back from 28 - 30. You can choose your neck length that way for the reamer design. Necking down a 30Nosler to .284 will eat up neck length.

I set the shoulder back approx. 090" on my 7 Saum to Sherman Short. I learned that a VERY light use of Remoil worked well and didn't wrinkle cases. No annealing! Then turn the necks to required dimension. Good luck......rich

I want to add: If you go with a 30Nosler and get a reamer designed let me know. If you beat me to it, I might just ask you to rent it for a barrel. I won't likely get around to doing anything again about this until Jan-Feb.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to try starting with some 30 Nosler brass rather than 28, figuring reducing the neck diameter will be a good trade off for not having to set the sholder back that extra .050 +-. I let you know how wrong i was about that.
Did you end up doing this build? Did you end up using 30 nosler cases? How did it turn out?

The point is standard mag bolt face. Otherwise I'm looking at a m700 action with high bolt thrust or dishing out $1000-1300 for an appropriately sized action. I am building on one of the Ed Brown 704s being sold on this site and accurateshooter, just happens the gunsmith is less than an hour from me. So no .585 bolt face it's a .535 hence the Nosler case choice.
I have 2 built with LAW704 actions

I have 2 built with LAW704 actions
Did you end up using 28 nosler brass, stepped down to 30 length, then again to 33? Or start with 30 brass, shorten to 33 length and neck down? How did they turn out? Easy to load for, or finicky? What velocities are you getting? Sorry for all of the questions. I am quite interested in building one of these.

Did you end up using 28 nosler brass, stepped down to 30 length, then again to 33? Or start with 30 brass, shorten to 33 length and neck down? How did they turn out? Easy to load for, or finicky? What velocities are you getting? Sorry for all of the questions. I am quite interested in building one of these.
No I built a 7mm blaser improved and a 6cm

Oh, what kind of velocity are you getting with the 7 blaser improved? And is it easy to load for?
Very easy to load for. Using h1000 24" proof cf 195 eol my node is 68.3gr @ 2840 fps (2900ish is getting hot) 175, 180, 184 burgers are very similar around 3000ish. I need to test retumbo

Very easy to load for. Using h1000 24" proof cf 195 eol my node is 68.3gr @ 2840 fps (2900ish is getting hot) 175, 180, 184 burgers are very similar around 3000ish. I need to test retumbo
N570 and RL26 will prob give you more speed. Retumbo as well. H1000 is just so stable and predictable.

N570 and RL26 will prob give you more speed. Retumbo as well. H1000 is just so stable and predictable.
I only did one small retumbo test and it didn't seem like it gained much....I want to do it again. Also have a couple lbs n570 to try. But I can't complain at all about h1000. Very accurate to 1000 (is as far as I've tested). Gained 50fps with suppressor....need to test all loads with it.